JenLavazza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jenlavazza.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!
I just bought the sb600...waiting for it to be delivered still...and I'm assuming I'll need to get a diffuser for when I use it on camera. Can anyone recommend one?
Thanks!!

Hello!
I just bought the sb600...waiting for it to be delivered still...and I'm assuming I'll need to get a diffuser for when I use it on camera. Can anyone recommend one?
Thanks!!

You may be good for now w/o a diffuser. I used (and still use) the pop-out 14mm adapter and bounce it off the nearest wall, and have fairly good results. I find it often times provides even softer light then does the use fancy diffuser contraptions.

and I'm assuming I'll need to get a diffuser for when I use it on camera.
Don't be so quick to jump to assumptions. ;)

There are many, many flash accessories on the market. The most useful thing they do is take money out of the wallets of photographers.
My suggestion is to play with your flash, as is, until you get a good handle on what it can and can't do. Usually, the best thing you can do to improve your on-camera-flash photos, is to simply bounce the flash...off of the ceiling, or any other surface around you your subject.

Most flash accessories & diffusers etc. do have some usefulness. But there isn't one that is best in all situations. So I'd suggest saving your money until you know more about the situations you'll be shooting in most often.

I really don't like lighting..lol I wish I could shoot natural light ALL the time (who doesn't), but living in IL good luck with that!!

The Demb looks nice. And affordable. I was also looking at the LumiQuest Softbox III Flash Diffuser. I wonder if it's any good....

Question (related, really it is).

If I'm going to be a second shooter at a couple weddings, would the Demb be a good thing to get or should I not worry about it and go naked? The flash that is.

Big Mike - You are right. I should wait and play first. Maybe I can use some white board or something to help bounce the light.

I hope to use it off camera through my umbrella most of the time anyway... we'll see.

I want to start saving for a new camera!!

I really don't like lighting..lol I wish I could shoot natural light ALL the time (who doesn't), but living in IL good luck with that!!
If you get good with your flash, you can make your shots look like natural light and/or balance it with the existing light.

I was also looking at the LumiQuest Softbox III Flash Diffuser. I wonder if it's any good...
I don't think that one is meant to be used with the flash on-camera. It might actually block the lens and would certainly block the AF assist beam on the flash. Not to mention that it would be big and unwieldy to use.

If I'm going to be a second shooter at a couple weddings, would the Demb be a good thing to get or should I not worry about it and go naked? The flash that is.
I like the Demb (I have the Flip-It Pro) because it's versatile. I can adjust the bounce card to any position, including all the way back & out of the way. That allows me to go from direct flash, to bounce flash...and having instant control of the angle of the bounce card is great.

For me, a flash accessory has to be versicle because while some work great in some situations, they might be completely useless for other situations. And at a wedding, those situations can change every minute.

So should you get it? That's up to you. If you do get something, I'd suggest practicing with it as much as possible, so that you know when & where it will be useful.

Thanks Mike, makes sense... I figured if I get it now I'll be well versed with it by the time the first wedding hits (June I believe it is). I thought about the Pro but then saw the diffuser one (can be removed), and like you I thought about versatility. The one I linked to is essentially a Flip-It Pro with a diffuser attachment if I read it right.

It you want to soften the light from your flash, and can't bounce...then you'll want to enlarge the size of the source as much as possible.

I've got one of THESE, as well as a DIY version that I made. I don't use them all that often but in some situations, they are great.

I know some people have luck with just placing bubble wrap over the flash. If you're really lucky, the flash might come with some for free.

On the Lumiquest front the Softbox 3 will fit on camera with the flash in the hot shoe without problems (though its a little heavy for its own good and can tend to dip a little at the front - so can require some adjustment to get it to sit just right).

It will however block out all the flashes sensors which means no AF assist.

I would say its a good option but that you might find the Softbox original to be a more easily used softbox for oncamera flash when moving around (this softbox does not black the flashes sensors). However its only the best option if you are going to use direct flash and not bounce it off walls and such

Most reactions

Back