sb600 On camera diffuser

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by JenLavazza, Feb 9, 2010.

1. JenLavazza

JenLavazza TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello!
    I just bought the sb600...waiting for it to be delivered still...and I'm assuming I'll need to get a diffuser for when I use it on camera. Can anyone recommend one?
    Thanks!!

2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  3. camhabib

camhabib TPF Noob!

You may be good for now w/o a diffuser. I used (and still use) the pop-out 14mm adapter and bounce it off the nearest wall, and have fairly good results. I find it often times provides even softer light then does the use fancy diffuser contraptions.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't be so quick to jump to assumptions. ;)

There are many, many flash accessories on the market. The most useful thing they do is take money out of the wallets of photographers.
    My suggestion is to play with your flash, as is, until you get a good handle on what it can and can't do. Usually, the best thing you can do to improve your on-camera-flash photos, is to simply bounce the flash...off of the ceiling, or any other surface around you your subject.

Most flash accessories & diffusers etc. do have some usefulness. But there isn't one that is best in all situations. So I'd suggest saving your money until you know more about the situations you'll be shooting in most often.

5. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    google diy photography, might save some $ and have fun :)

6. JenLavazza

JenLavazza TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I really don't like lighting..lol I wish I could shoot natural light ALL the time (who doesn't), but living in IL good luck with that!!

The Demb looks nice. And affordable. I was also looking at the LumiQuest Softbox III Flash Diffuser. I wonder if it's any good....

7. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Question (related, really it is).

If I'm going to be a second shooter at a couple weddings, would the Demb be a good thing to get or should I not worry about it and go naked? The flash that is.

8. JenLavazza

JenLavazza TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Big Mike - You are right. I should wait and play first. Maybe I can use some white board or something to help bounce the light.

I hope to use it off camera through my umbrella most of the time anyway... we'll see.

I want to start saving for a new camera!!

9. JenLavazza

JenLavazza TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Go naked...you'll get some great expression photography!! :) Oh, wait you said flash....lol

10. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :lol:

11. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you get good with your flash, you can make your shots look like natural light and/or balance it with the existing light.

I don't think that one is meant to be used with the flash on-camera. It might actually block the lens and would certainly block the AF assist beam on the flash. Not to mention that it would be big and unwieldy to use.

I like the Demb (I have the Flip-It Pro) because it's versatile. I can adjust the bounce card to any position, including all the way back & out of the way. That allows me to go from direct flash, to bounce flash...and having instant control of the angle of the bounce card is great.

For me, a flash accessory has to be versicle because while some work great in some situations, they might be completely useless for other situations. And at a wedding, those situations can change every minute.

So should you get it? That's up to you. If you do get something, I'd suggest practicing with it as much as possible, so that you know when & where it will be useful.

12. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Mike, makes sense... I figured if I get it now I'll be well versed with it by the time the first wedding hits (June I believe it is). I thought about the Pro but then saw the diffuser one (can be removed), and like you I thought about versatility. The one I linked to is essentially a Flip-It Pro with a diffuser attachment if I read it right.