sb600 or sb900?

If I get the SB600 and get this will it work?

Yes, it will work, except IMO, they are crap right out of the box. Mine wouldn't fire the flash from 10' away...unobstructed....with brand new batteries.
If you are handy with a soldering iron, they can be made to work well (antenna mod). I haven't tested my range to the extent of Jerry, but I now know it will fire if the flash is in the basement, and I am upstairs at the opposite end of the house....more than I need. And you will want to do the battery mod on the receiver to accept 2AA batteries. The 3v lithium it requires is expensive.

I would say one SB600, and PWs, then if you still want to pursue that course, another 600. This will give you more flexibility and room to upgrade, for about the price of the 900.

SB-600 - About $225
PocketWizard Plus II Transceiver - about $184 each...X2 = $368
$225 + $368 = $593

An alternative to the PocketWizard and Cactus V2 triggers are the CyberSync triggers from Alien Bees. Range is said to be about 400 feet.

CyberSync CST Transmitter - $60
CyberSync CSRB Receiver - $70
$60 + $70 + $225 = $355

I use CyberSyncs and they work fine. Five of my shooting buddies use CyberSyncs. Three others have PocketWizards. No one I shoot with uses the Cactus V2 triggers.

I have the same gear you have there...AND now have both the SB-600 and SB-800.

I ended up getting the 800 because the D40 is not a master commander. Now I have the 800 on the camera and the 600 as a slave. That's the only reason I got the 800.. otherwise I would go all 600!

Most reactions

Back