sb600 question

nrois02

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok so i got a sb600 not to long ago and i was wondering if there was a way to set the flash down some were and set the flash off as many times as i want and whenever i want. anyone know about that?

It depends what camera you are using. If you camera has a "commander mode" than the sb-600 will work very well as a slave. If you are using a D60 or the more consumer cam's than you most likely don't have a TTL Commander mode.

So tell me your camera because with a D60 and a SB-600 you are pretty limited as far as the use of the flash.

One option that will work either way is the nikon sc-29 which can be found Here.
It is a cord that attaches to the hot shoe on your camera and than onto the hotshoe adapter on your flash. Pretty straight forward as to what it might do right? Now, that chord has a bungy type of texture and you're only really comfortably using this for about 2 feet. Note that unless you are great at one handed shooting this can be hard. Get an assistant.

So yeah, do some reading cause I cant do that part for you.

1. Does you camera have TTL Commander mode? If Yes, you're done, set your flash to slave and shoot (This requires you reading your camera manual and flash manual, which you're already done, right? :)

2. Go buy the sc-29, you'll be restricted greatly and it might not be what you had in mind but you are currently restricted by your gear.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I realize the flash cord is advertised for the Sb-800 but I just tested it out on a D90 + SB600 and it worked perfectly.

i have a d80... and sadly i have not read the camera manual and barely read the flash manual... im not big into reading. haha but i know i have to so i will. but yeah im not looking for a cord. i have an idea where i want to put the flash underneath a train with a long exposure and set the flash off by like a remote(if they have anything like that for the sb600) thanks for the quick reply hopefully this helps a little bit more.

k you have a d80 so you're done.

go into your menu, the pencil > flash/bracketing> On Camera Flash - TTL Commander

on the SB-600 -- hold zoom and the (-) minus button at the same time, it will say off with a crooked arrow, hit menu, it will now say ON with a crooked arrow. shoot away.

If it doesnt work i most likely missed a step

Hmmm after testing that theory on a d80 + sb600 i might have to take that back...
I cant get it to fire on Commander + remote, sorry

It should work just fine with a D80 in commander mode, what you do have to remember though, is that the sb600 has to be able to "see" the commander in order to for it to fire reliably

It works great in Commander as Canuck said. You can look on page 96 to see how to set it up.

thanks guys this helps but will i need a remote to set of the flash? and if so where can i get one?

No your on-camera flash becomes the remote when it is set as a Commander. Remember this manual reading business we were just talking about? Flip through and find "Creative Lighting System" or CLS.

i have a d80... and sadly i have not read the camera manual and barely read the flash manual... im not big into reading.
You may want to change that aspect. Reading manuals is FUNdamental. :) See page 96 of the camera manual and page 60 of your flash manual

i have an idea where i want to put the flash underneath a train with a long exposure and set the flash off by like a remote(if they have anything like that for the sb600)
If I understand correctly, you are wanting multiple flashes within one exposure, then you will need a remote to fire the flash methinks. I don't know if the Cactus and PocketWizards do this, but I think they may. Firing the flash in Commander mode will only get it to fire once during an exposure. I have, however, set the camera to bulb (on a tripod) and then run around the scene and hitting the "flash" (test) button multiple times.

^^^ thats what im looking for and i have done that but i want to put it in or around things where i cant get to during the exposure

anyone know a way to do this?

well, i think it might involve a wireless trigger with multiple channels, but im not sure how you would sync that with a 600 cause it has no sync port

once you found out you could just stand there changing the channel to the flash you want to fire, and than to the next, and get them to fire by pressing the test button on the transceiver that you would have to be holding..

so i think that if you can find out how to sync a sb-600 with a pocket wizard or something of the like, this would work...

thanks man ill try and figure that out!

Set your sb-600 to a remote. Then set your camera to a commander as mentioned above. When you scroll down on the menu on the camera to "commander" hit the right arrow key to take you to the next screen. Set your camera's mode to "--" to disable its flash and set the sb-600 flash which should be group A (or whatever you set it) to TTL or Manual or whatever. Then pop you cameras flash up and try it out. Both should go off. The cameras flash is just used to trigger the speedlight and doesnt effect the end image unless you are really close. Hope that helps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back