Scanner for negatives and a Printer

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Seeking recommendations for a fine flatbed scanner primarily for the negatives AND a photo printer.

Thanks.

Flatbeds are best for prints I think. Consider a dedicated neg scanner if you mainly intend to use negs. I have had good results with the Nikon Coolscan and a Minolta.
For a combo flat bed (negs and prints) have a look at Linotype Hel - excelent top end amateur low end pro but not cheap.
A lot of it is down to the software. Bad software can screw a good scanner. Linotype Hel again is good with good colour management but I personally have an Agfa.
As for printers I use a Canon with 5 inks and black. The inks are all separate tanks which can save you a lot in the long term. Ink colour permanence is a problem though although you can get photo quality inks now (the court is still out on how long they last but seem to be about the same as a C Type print)
Check your budget and shop around.

Not a lot of quality print and film multi-format scanners in the market, but there are a few good ones for Microtek raging in price for $800 to $2800 US. If you will only be working with 35mm film it would be cheaper to get two scanners. A good 35mm film scanner can be had for fewer than $500. And flatbed for less than $200

Thanks Herts, Jeff for the leads.

Funny you should post this.
I just picked up an Epson Perfection 2580 PHOTO over the weekend. The price was right and my old Flatbed was dead so I said what the hell.

Just for kicks I scanned a slide and some negs. WOW. Very impressed.
Never thought a flatbed could do such a good job.

Might want to look into it.

Thanks Patrick, I shall look in to it.

markc said:
Will you be printing mainly color or B&W? Do you want to print larger than 8x10?
Mark, eventhough the weight is more towards B&W, I should say half and half. Does it affect the choice of the machine?
I should be happy with 8x10 or less, at the moment.

We also have the Epson 2580, works GREAT!

I have an Epson 3200 flat bed for prints, medium format and 4x5s and a Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual IV for 35mm. Both of them work awesome!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back