Scanner question

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My flatbed scanner has stopped working. :( I had a Canoscan D 2400 UF which had the film scanning capability, from 35mm up to 4x5, mainly done for B/W work. The power adapter seems to be dead and I have been told that buying a dedicated power adaptor for this (no, it does not work with any regular plugs) would cost anywhere between $50 to $80!! So... I'm looking for a new flatbed scanner that can do the same sizes. Any ideas?

You could replace it with another more recent Canon. I use the Canoscan 8400F which includes adapters for 35mm strips, mounted slides, and 120 strips. The backlight won't cover 4x5 though. For that you might need the 9950F, top of their flatbed range.

If all that's gone wrong is the power adaptor, then try circuit city (radio shack) for any adaptor that has the proper output voltage and adequate amperage. Then rewiring the plug end with the one from your old adaptor is really very easy to do.

As for a new scanner, I've been using an Epson 4990 photo. It will scan up to 8x10 negatives. It comes with fairly easy to use and also usefull software.

If all that's gone wrong is the power adaptor, then try circuit city (radio shack) for any adaptor that has the proper output voltage and adequate amperage. Then rewiring the plug end with the one from your old adaptor is really very easy to do.

As for a new scanner, I've been using an Epson 4990 photo. It will scan up to 8x10 negatives. It comes with fairly easy to use and also usefull software.

I already tried that method with an old adapter which matched both output Voltage and Amperage. It didn't affect the scanner. I took a measurement (as in Voltage) at the connection I made and saw that the 12V were gone down to 2.3V, so somewhere inside the scanner there might be a short of sorts.

I will give Epson 4990 a look. Thanks for the input! :thumbup:

Update: I put a bid on an Epson 4990. Thanks Patrice! That beast looks awesome!!

Will do. Should be here in a few days. :D

Let us know how you get along with it once you have it.

Well, we're getting to know each other... I thought it was pretty complex at the beginning but the more I experiment with it, the more I like it. I scanned a 4x5 neg today and this is what came out:

Vulture-Mine-4x5-03-web.jpg

I printed it on a 8x10 Ilford Photo Paper and the results are quite amazing! Thanks for recommending it!​

Most reactions

Back