SCANNERS....... for Scanning!

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by binglemybongle, Jun 3, 2005.

1. binglemybongle

binglemybongle TPF Noob!

Can anyone tell me which or what kind of scanner will give reasonable results when scanning to my PC?

Id like to know things like make/model or resolution or if it has to have certain options that mean it can do something important etc...

Anything and everything please.

Ta! :wink:

2. etaf

etaf TPF Noob!

what are you scanning and whats the intended use of the scan.
    35mm negs/slides
    medium format negs/slides
    pictures already processed
    Drawings

assuming both there are 35mm scanners/flatbed scanners - i think the Nikon models usually get a very good writeup - nikon super coolscan 9000ed £2199
    & flatbed canon canonscan 9950f £299

3. binglemybongle

binglemybongle TPF Noob!

Originally i just meant to scan prosessed prints. Hadnt considered scanning negs. Its all new to me you see!

What kind of scanner are people using on TPF? Not fot the critique but for general posts and POSSIBLY for the competition.

Are people using negative scanners? Scanning processed shots?

Im only really interested in being able to email photos to people and been able to post them on TPF.

I want them so they are of a high enough quality when viewed on a screen but with no intention of printing. So reproduction is not an issue.

4. etaf

etaf TPF Noob!

I have a 35mm scanner Nikon LS30III - does a great job and scans at an optical resolution of 2700PPI produces images around 27MB tiff
    The largest I have printed is A4 as Thats the biggest printer I have.

I rarely scan from prints but i do have a flatbed scanner HP all-in-one PSC2150 - seems to do an alright job when used
    If reproduction is not an issue and you just want to see them on the screen then I would suggest any flatbed scanner will do that.
    The resolution for the screen is around 72PPI {some may quote120PPI} and most scanners are capable of that resolution.

have a read here
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_accessories.html#scanners

or see if any photo mags are reviewing scanners - some have an index at the back on what they have reviewed and the rating