Scanning 35mm films

doobs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been scanning my film today with a regular flatbed scanner. So far, I've scanned all the 120 film, which is fine because it is perfectly clear; however when I am scanning my 35mm film (which has that bluish gray background tone color thing) it scans that blue color as well. What can I do to get rid of this.

I am editing my photos in Photoshop CS

Also how do I enlarge the photos with out them looking too soft and blurry?

I've never had an issue with the colour of the film itself coming through when I scan film so I can't help you there, sorry.

If you want a large size just make sure you set your DPI as high as it'll go. When I scan at 9600 DPI a single frame comes in at about 10,000pixels on a side, which should be large enough ;)

Is there a greyscale scanning option in your scanner software? If not, then scan in colour then look at the three channels in PS. Choose the channel(s) you want to keep and dump the rest, then change the mode to greyscale. If you are scanning negatives developed with a staining developer it will usually be worth scanning in colour, then doing the Channel Mixer thing in PS.

Which flatbed scanner do you have? What is its optical resolution? Have you thought about getting a dedicated film scanner for 35 mm B&W?

Best,
Helen

I've tried grayscale, but it still comes out with a darkened tone to it. I'll post a picture when I get home to show. I'll look at the channels and see if that helps any.

I have an HP All in one 1210. Yes I am aware it is not a photo/film scanner, but I wanted to scan the film to show some buddies of mine. I was thinking about getting a dedicated film scanner, but probably not until around the holiday season. Though, I'd like one that scans 35mm as well as 120 roll film.

EDIT: I'll try adjusting some of the settings tonight and sees how it works.

- Frank F. Frankfurter, Esq.

I've tried grayscale, but it still comes out with a darkened tone to it. I'll post a picture when I get home to show. I'll look at the channels and see if that helps any.

I have an HP All in one 1210. Yes I am aware it is not a photo/film scanner, but I wanted to scan the film to show some buddies of mine. I was thinking about getting a dedicated film scanner, but probably not until around the holiday season. Though, I'd like one that scans 35mm as well as 120 roll film.

EDIT: I'll try adjusting some of the settings tonight and sees how it works.

- Frank F. Frankfurter, Esq.

You are not alone, I too currently use an HP all in one (and am looking for a dedicated scanner,) I get the color of the film showing up and fouling up images as well. I stuck with scanning the prints, but I would like to see the results of your scans and tests.

I believe you need to backlight the film while scanning it.

What kind of film is this? The only 35mm films I know of with a pronounced bluish tone in the backing are plus-x and Foma. Either way, you can remedy this by either investing in a better scanner or asking your lab to pre-soak the negatives if possible (this helps cut down on the blue a little).

What kind of film is this? The only 35mm films I know of with a pronounced bluish tone in the backing are plus-x and Foma. Either way, you can remedy this by either investing in a better scanner or asking your lab to pre-soak the negatives if possible (this helps cut down on the blue a little).

The most of it is HP5 and a few rolls of FP4. I shot the FP4 in my 35mm camera and it had the blue tone, however when shot in my Holga (120 roll) it came out perfectly clear. I develop the film myself, and I do a water pre-soak before hand. I process the film with Xtol. Everytime I develop film it has been this color as has most other people at my lab, as far as I have seen. They also print fine from a Saunders/LPL Enlarger.

This is a sample of the closest I can get it to a normal looking picture (as you can see, whites are gray and dark):
usatodaytr6.jpg

Here is a scan of the negs shot in a Holga (35mm mod):
holga35mmcomtactjpgbj3.jpg

Note: all 35mm film came out this way.

Here is a scan of the negs shot normally in the Holga (120 roll):
holga2jpgjx0.jpg

About the negs being backlit, I have no idea how I would go about doing that.

I was having a similiar problem scanning color film with a dedicated scanner. My images were all turning out blue. I was using Vuescan and switched to Silverfast, and haven't had a problem since. Vuescan worked fine for months, and it wasn't until I used it on another computer that it started giving me problems, but oh well. Anyway, you might want to try a different scanning software, just to see.

I use whatever came with my scanner. I'll try something else. Has to be Mac compatible, though.

How is it that you are exposing the 35mm film outside the frame area? I have never seen that.

As Helen said, you can use it in a Holga. I just put the film in there, tape it up a little and stuff the inside with foam. Then I cover the outside with a LOT gaffer's tape. It took me about 10 minutes to configure it and didn't think about it cropping some of the pictures (due to smaller format) thus coming out with some lame pictures. Oh well.

Helen posted the same link I used.

Interesting. A friend of mine in high school had a Rolleiflex that converted from medium format film to 35mm, but it had a mask that was inserted in front of the film so that the frame size was maintained. A similar mask was placed over the viewfinder screen. It just looks really weird to see the entire film exposed!

Interesting. A friend of mine in high school had a Rolleiflex that converted from medium format film to 35mm, but it had a mask that was inserted in front of the film so that the frame size was maintained. A similar mask was placed over the viewfinder screen. It just looks really weird to see the entire film exposed!

That sounds pretty cool. I would love to see some of the pictures from that -- if you have any.

The Lomo society sells an adapter that you can put in the Holga, but foam was easier/cheaper. :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back