Scanning Dad's prints

ChicagoFilmFan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, I was hoping someone here could help me with a project I've been working on. My dad was a professional photographer when he was in his twenties, and took beautiful pictures throughout New England. When my brother and I were born, he quit to get a job that paid better. To surprise him for his birthday I wanted to scan a few of his prints in for our family. They are very beautiful works and I want to capture that. How do I scan them in the best way? Is there another approach I should be taking? If need be, I can get access to the negatives or whatever else I may need. Thanks for all your help!

You're not going to be changing the photos in any way, so there's really nothing special to do other than getting your hands on the best scanner you can. Nowadays, even a cheaper scanner will do a fine job in scanning photos. There are a few tips and tricks with scanning, but that list is extensive and variable based on computer, scanner, and images being scanned. Google 'scanning photos' or something and I think you'll get a better answer.

Matt

With access to the negatives, assuming they have been well cared for over the years, I would always choose to print from negatives.

I saw a device at Bed Bath and Beyond that turned negatives and prints up to 5x7 into digital files, it was about $70. It worked by capturing the image like a photograph instead of scanning.

I saw a device at Bed Bath and Beyond that turned negatives and prints up to 5x7 into digital files, it was about $70. It worked by capturing the image like a photograph instead of scanning.

$70!!! Any decent photo lab will print from a negative, and be able to scan it to cd with decent resolution for a lot less than $70.

Hey all, I was hoping someone here could help me with a project I've been working on. My dad was a professional photographer when he was in his twenties, and took beautiful pictures throughout New England. When my brother and I were born, he quit to get a job that paid better. To surprise him for his birthday I wanted to scan a few of his prints in for our family. They are very beautiful works and I want to capture that. How do I scan them in the best way? Is there another approach I should be taking? If need be, I can get access to the negatives or whatever else I may need. Thanks for all your help!

If you have the negatives, that's the best route to go. I have an inexpensive scanner, CanoScan 8400F, that includes a negative holder. It's certainly not professional quality but does a really good job for final prints up to 8X12. It's no longer available but this is the replacement.

Be forewarned that scanning negatives is labor-intensive. No problem if you're doing a dozen or so but I wouldn't want to do several hundred.

$70!!! Any decent photo lab will print from a negative, and be able to scan it to cd with decent resolution for a lot less than $70.
But you don't get to take any decent photo lab home with you and use it repeatedly, as many times and as often as you want. ;)

There are a lot of variables.

In general, its best to scan the original film, whether negative or slide, but there are issues that can make scanning the prints a better choice:

1. Condition: Occasionally, the film has not survived as well as the print.

2. Manipulation: When you scan the film, you record the film image. When you scan a print you are recording the manipulated image including the orignal artist's choices of cropping, contrast, dodging, burning in, retouching, ... .

3. Image sizes: Common print scanners can handle prints up to 8x10. Scanners for larger prints are mega-expensive. The same goes for film. Film-only scanners either scan only 35mm or cost over $1000 USD. A few flat-bed combination scanners (film and print) exist that can deliver decent to excellent results. Scanners like the EPSON v500 (~$250 USD) can scan prints to 8x10 and film in either 35mm or 120 roll film. The more expensive (~$500 USD) v700 can handle both prints and film up to 8x10 and delivers excellent results in the class of those from any under $1000 film-only scanner.

Whether you scan from prints or film depends primarily on what format your Dad shot and whether your budget allows for a scanner to handle that film size. It also depends on the size of the prints and whether an affordable scanner is available for that size. Then, on a shot for shot basis, the condition of the prints vs film becomes a possible factor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back