Scanning old photo's

uplander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Are there labs that that can do a high resolution scan of an older photo print so I could be able to print 11x16 or 13x19 prints of decent quality?

Yes but if the original is up scanned, you will have to still do a lot of cleaning up. You don't just blow up the picture, but all the grain, defects and what not in the paper as well.

Any ordinary scanner can do that too.

Many labs can do that, but its going to be pricey with all the extra work to get a nice image at larger sizes. I have done some of this, most flatbed scanners will work just fine, scan in the highest native resolution into 16bit TIFF, then do a little adjustment in PS. I think I was scanning at 600ppi, so with that size file a scanned 4x6 should be able to print at the sizes you want, maybe be a bit softer though. I think It might be worth trying a few yourself, order a coupple prints see what kind of results you get, I think with just a little work you will see som pretty good results, if not then try a lab that can to drumscans and make some adjustments.

Many labs can do that, but its going to be pricey with all the extra work to get a nice image at larger sizes. I have done some of this, most flatbed scanners will work just fine, scan in the highest native resolution into 16bit TIFF, then do a little adjustment in PS. I think I was scanning at 600ppi, so with that size file a scanned 4x6 should be able to print at the sizes you want, maybe be a bit softer though. I think It might be worth trying a few yourself, order a coupple prints see what kind of results you get, I think with just a little work you will see som pretty good results, if not then try a lab that can to drumscans and make some adjustments.
Thanks, I appreciate the info. I'm going to give it the best effort I can.

I recently scanned some older photos and because the paper was textured it left my scans horrible (thousands of tiny white diamonds where the light bounced of the dimples). The scanner had a setting to counter it, but they still looked like crap.

I recently scanned some older photos and because the paper was textured it left my scans horrible (thousands of tiny white diamonds where the light bounced of the dimples). The scanner had a setting to counter it, but they still looked like crap.

It is kind of hit and miss depending on the paper of the original print, I actually had the best luck with Black and white photos, with smooth texture and flat sheen.

Most reactions

Back