Scanning Old Prints?

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by ShootingBob, Jun 10, 2009.

1. ShootingBob

ShootingBob TPF Noob!

Hello,

I want to digitize all my old prints. These prints are all standard size. To make things faster I load the whole scanner bed with photos then crop out each one later. Is there a simpler and faster way to do this?

I use CS3.

Thanks,Li

2. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some dedicated film scanners may be faster.

But other than that there are DIY options. I experimented with photographing the frames with a backlight using a macro lens. Providing the backlight is sufficiently diffuse, and the frame itself is held flat for instance wedged between two pieces of glass, the end result is comparable to a flatbed scanner. The speed you would be limited to is how fast you can load the film in the glass and take the photos. Much faster than scanning at 2400DPI.

3. farmerj

farmerj TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am in the process of doing the same thing for my fiance's dad. he has a slug of old 35mm slides from vietnam he wants done.

Best I can suggest is a lower scan resolution. I am doing these at 600 DPI. If he want's any in particular, he can point them out and I will go to a higher scan.

I can scan about 4 to a row, 16 to a set-up. It took about 4 hours to scan in 37 slides and crop them out to individual pictures.

Having a layout grid for the scanner helps in the placement and keeping the image square.