Scanning photos...

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by bijoux, Mar 2, 2005.

1. bijoux

bijoux TPF Noob!

I looked for a more appropriate place to insert my scanner question, but I think this is the best place to stick it.

I have a HP psc 750 [now discontinued] all-in-one printer/scanner. It does an okay job. Sometimes when I scan my photos it can make them a tad distorted, so I was flirting with the idea of upgrading.

What do you guys use to scan your photos? I don't really understand "dpi", so when I'm looking all these scanners up, I have no idea which would be better. Is anyone else using these all-in-one dealies? :confused:

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The all in one machines use a flatbed scanner. There are probably some all in ones with good flatbeds and some that have cheapo flatbed scanners. You could get machine that is just a flatbed, there are some good ones and some bad ones as well.

To get the most detail, you should scan the negatives. This means using an adapter with a flatbed or getting a scanner than only scans negatives/slide film. The dedicated film scanner will give you much better quality than a flat bed but they can be expensive.

I just get my film developed and scanned at the same time. Most labs use digital machines now so it's just a simple matter of burning them to a CD for you. It usually costs a couple bucks.

3. bijoux

bijoux TPF Noob!

Wow! I had no idea they'd scan them for you. Maybe it'd be a good idea to just keep what I have and get some scans done for me at a store. Thanks for the info.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You might even be able to save some money if you don't get prints made. Just ask for develop only and scan to CD. It's easy & cheap for them to do it because the machine scans the whole roll of film before they cut the film into strips.