Scanning Problems

Anubis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bryanmansell.co.uk
Hi Everyone,

I was trying to scan some photos in on a second hand scanner I just bought. But the colour of the scan is rubbish. Nowhere near as vibrant as the colour in the original.

I tried changing Contrast and Brightness settings before the scan but nothing came close. I tried modifiying the colour in photo editing software, but again no useable result.

Does anyone know a surefire method for bring the colour in to line with the original?

Cheers,,

Bryan.

As far as I know, scanning is handled by the scanner's own twain software and cannot be changed.

As for the photo software, i have Paint Shop Pro and Ulead Photo Impact.

I think it may be a case of I don't know which settings to modify for best effect rather than the software is not good at its job.

So if anyone knows which settings to change i'd be grateful!

Hi, Bryan. I'm a negative film user, so whenever I want to post a photo on the internet I need to use a scanner.

Mine is a flatbed scanner that scans prints, not negatives. The scanned image always differs from the print in 2 ways : the colors in the scan are less vibrant and the focus is ever so slightly soft. This is true no matter what settings I use when I do the scan.

I use PhotoShop to sharpen the scanned image (Unsharp Mask), and that works pretty well. I also try to correct the color with PhotoShop, but I have never been able to get the color to match the print.

You might want to try a negative scanner. I understand that they work better. I had some of my negatives scanned by my local photo lab and the colors actually matched to print.

Hope this helps solve your mystery.

thanks for the info BLS, my gf has a film scanner in her office so I'll give it a try.

Hopefully I'll be switching to digital within the year and won't have to worry about it any more :)

Most reactions

Back