scans are too noisy/grainy (ex pic)

myopia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
so i got back my 2nd attempt at x-proc color (film=160T), and had my lab scan the negs onto a cd. the images were all noisy/grainy. what could the reason be for this?

ex1
327426333_b1742530ab.jpg

ex2
327423977_ed6cf030eb.jpg

This is just a guess but it could be the sharpening is set too high.... I have to be very careful when sharpening my scans. Check to see if your unsharp filter is checked it might need to be off or turn off any sharpening you are using or maybe turn it down.

when i view them on photoshop, there is a prompt which comes up saying that the images are of a different "colorsync profile" than what my default is set to. the images are colorsync "Nikon Adobe RGB 4.0.0.3000" which are different.

wtf does this mean? i dont know, but could this be the reason?

I dont edit with photoshop so I dont know what it means. When i get that look it is always over sharped but I'm sure it isnt the only thing that would give it. Someone else will have to help you I have hit the limit of my knowledge.

mysteryscribe said:
I dont edit with photoshop so I dont know what it means. When i get that look it is always over sharped but I'm sure it isnt the only thing that would give it. Someone else will have to help you I have hit the limit of my knowledge.

you have been very helpful regardless. thank you.

I could be wrong here, but if you're having the lab do the scans, could it just be that they're not doing a very good job? I had some pretty bad experiences with labs' standard scan-to-CD services. Maybe try somewhere else and see how their scans compare.

ZaphodB said:
I could be wrong here, but if you're having the lab do the scans, could it just be that they're not doing a very good job? I had some pretty bad experiences with labs' standard scan-to-CD services. Maybe try somewhere else and see how their scans compare.

okay, someone told me that it is just an automated process so labs wont be any different... i hope he's wrong

Well I'm fairly sure the process is mostly automated, but I guess it would depend on whether the lab has their equipment set up and maintained properly and some other factors. Also with one franchise chain I had decent quality scans at fairly high resolution from one shop, but when I asked for the same scan-to-CD service at another one I got small low-res scans that were barely good enough for web use. I guess some places just have a different idea of what constitutes a useable scan from others.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back