Scans including film info and exposure #?

Riggaberto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If this is a dumb question I apologize, I've received no formal training and you'd be surprised how much basic info is left out of books

On many professional photographs I often see the edges of the film, including the film name and exposure number.

Here's an example of what I mean from an amazing, recent Seattle Times story(first photo):

http://www.noise-to-signal.com/2007/03/photographer_sh.html

Can I ask a local processor to scan images with that intact or what? How does it work? It's a nice feature that I'd really like to preserve for both aesthetic and practical reasons

Really appreciate the advice.

You need to ask them. It would depend on the film carriers used on the scanner. For me to do it myself, I would have to abandon the film carrier and put the film on the flatbed scanner glass with no carrier.

It's possible you're right, Matt, but the Holga image does look more like a full frame negative scan to me. Interesting.

I tend to agree with Fred - most film carriers will cut that bit off when scanning; I know mine does. And I don't have much success laying negatives on my flatbed without the carrier.

Most reactions

Back