Scans on a disc, no disk drive.

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright so I had some film scanned and didn't give any thought about how the scans would be returned. They are on a disc and my computer is one of those fancy "new" ones that came with out a disc drive hahaha

So, whats the best way to send the files to myself without any loss or compression?

Yup. Just pick-up a cheapo external USB burner/reader/writer drive from BestBuy, usually <$50. Often craptastic build quality but they seem to last.

picked up a cheap one and it did the job. Stupid Mac and no disc drive. People think Im nuts for still using a CD player in my jeep.

My lab will put the scans on a USB or CD or E-Mail via dropbox.

And I have cassette players in 3 of my cars. Still watch VHS movies too. :winky:

have an external disc drive just for downloading music cds and film scans.

bought a new car recently -- no cd player. crazy.

I still wear mechanical wristwatches that are battery-free and either must be wound daily or they wind themselves from the motion of my wrist. Some of them are made with gold and all have real jewels (rubies) inside. If you hold them to your ear you can hear a ticking sound.

(Except for my Accutron which does have a battery and a pair of tiny tuning forks that hum).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I cant even remember the last time I used a CD or DVD.

From a computer that has a CD drive copy the images to google drive or dropbox.

Floppy disks, laser disks, vinyl records and cassette tapes are still manufactured and Royal still makes typewriters. Vacuum tubes and CRT television sets are also still made.

I think somebody even still makes photographic film! (whatever that is)

Last edited:
Maybe next time check and see if the lab you're using has the option of digital files of the scans instead of a CD. The places I send out to now offer either/both.

I still have an 8 track player in my basement.

I have an 8-track too plus cassette players, a VCR, a typewriter, a CRT oscilloscope, some analog multimeters, radios with tubes and/or transistors inside and telephones that plug into the wall.

Floppy disks, laser disks, vinyl records and cassette tapes are still manufactured and Royal still makes typewriters. Vacuum tubes and CRT television sets are also still made.

I think somebody even still makes photographic film! (whatever that is)

I have an 8-track too plus cassette players, a VCR, a typewriter, a CRT oscilloscope, some analog multimeters, radios with tubes and/or transistors inside and telephones that plug into the wall.

Well it sounds to me like you have the past well covered if we ever decide to quite using the ever evolving technology or someone invents a working time machine. :allteeth:

Love how this thread turned into "who uses the most archaic devices"

I have a lovely pocket watch but it was engraved by a previous girlfriend so the wife wont let me use it haha.

With a kiddo on the way, we decided to find all of our VHS tapes instead of using dvds for the kid so we don't have to worry about them getting all scratched up. Plus you can buy tapes for pennies these days.

Most reactions

Back