Scarlet Ibis

ShelleySnapz

Photographer for hire!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Not sure if I like this...anything you can suggest to improve this shot?

scarletibis.jpg

Hmmmm...tough one Shelley?
You've got a great capture here, and I like it. But there's a couple of little things that bother me, that might be the same issues you are questioning.
The tips of his wings get lost in the shadows. And the green is almost overpowering. The birds color is so vivid, it almost makes the center of the frame look desaturated. I'm no expert on light, but I don't see how you could have avoided this?
I made some shadow/hilight adjustments and tweaked the green a little bit. It helped focus on the bird, but I'm not sure it's any 'better'?

Oh and to reply...yes I noticed that the wings got lost...this little guy was moving fast...I do have a couple other poses that I need to work on this week...just dont have the time at the moment....I might find another that is worthy of posting....his color was just gorgeous too and I couldnt avoid the green...I was going to crop in tighter but it looked distorted

I really like the pose and my very amateur eyes, I really like the photo. I see a couple of the things that woodsac sees (like the green). Nice capture though!

I cropped in pretty tight from upper left, increased contrast and sharpened it a bit...seems to bring more attention to the bird as most of the green is gone. also seemed to balance it a bit better compositionally.
A smaller aperture would be the real answer here IMO to blur the distractions in the BG.
The exposure is excellent...lots of detail :D

i can post it if you like.

Most reactions

Back