bigalbest

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sandphotos.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
3215855555_a0e422f679_o.jpg

I'm building an outdoor backdrop in my backyard. I'm building against the south wall because it is in shade all day. I put ivy in the planter (only grows in shade), excavated the ground and now will add a pave stone patio.

3215855553_c9d16efd23_o.jpg

Started with a retaining wall. After I lay the pave stone patio, I plan on adding a couple runs of brick to the top of the wall and mounting trellis for the ivy to grow on.

3215855547_1df0a3ceb3_o.jpg

This has been a lot of work but I think it will be worth it.

3215855551_a1311b5e45_o.jpg

That's going to look sweet! :) I really like the curve on the patio.

Did you do any post processing to the last 2 photos? They have that smooth surreal digital look I've been trying to figure out.. Or is it just from underexposing the ambient a bit?

That's going to look sweet! :) I really like the curve on the patio.

Did you do any post processing to the last 2 photos? They have that smooth surreal digital look I've been trying to figure out.. Or is it just from underexposing the ambient a bit?

Thanks andrew99, there is very little processing on these. The look I like is to balance ambient with strobes to get crisp colors and detail. Keep in mind these were shot in bright daylight at small apertures (f18-f22), with a powerful light. I start out at 1/160 and dial down to bring the ambient right where I want it.

3217238026_7da9d240ef.jpg

Here is an example where I shot f20 at 1/100.

I laid half the brick this morning and will do the rest tomorrow. I wore out a pair of gloves and can barely lift my arms, so hopefully I can finish by Saturday with any luck. I'll add more pictures when it's done.

Ok, cool, thanks for the tip. I have only hotshoe flashes (Vivitar 285HV's and an SB600), so maybe I don't have enough power. I have to experiment more, though. I'm jealous of your weather -- it's below freezing here in Canada, so not much fun shooting outside!

Now we just need to get that ivy growing. I know some people at Wrigley that might have some ideas! Sorry, but I am such a huge Cubs fan, this is the only thing I think of when I hear ivy.

It looks great Alex!

-Nick

Wow, you work fast!! This would have taken me a week! :D

Maybe a little too fast, my hands and arms are shot.

That's awesome Alex!

Thanks Christina. :D

Now we just need to get that ivy growing. I know some people at Wrigley that might have some ideas! Sorry, but I am such a huge Cubs fan, this is the only thing I think of when I hear ivy.

It looks great Alex!

-Nick

Thanks dtornabene1.

Wow that looks really good...amazing job! I can't wait to see pictures with this background now.

Ok, cool, thanks for the tip. I have only hotshoe flashes (Vivitar 285HV's and an SB600), so maybe I don't have enough power. I have to experiment more, though. I'm jealous of your weather -- it's below freezing here in Canada, so not much fun shooting outside!

Pretty sure they'd be fine. Strobist's use conventional flashes for some incredible work requiring much higher light levels than the OP's work.

There was a picture ( that I can't find right now ) on strobist where the photographer had lit up the side of an elevated train as part of the picture. The flashes (two of) must have been something like 50ft from the train sides but lit it up just fine.

Pretty sure they'd be fine. Strobist's use conventional flashes for some incredible work requiring much higher light levels than the OP's work.

There was a picture ( that I can't find right now ) on strobist where the photographer had lit up the side of an elevated train as part of the picture. The flashes (two of) must have been something like 50ft from the train sides but lit it up just fine.

I'm not sure you understand the light levels involved, but I still would like to see a picture of this train.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back