School boy error with the ISO setting

Hair Bear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just goes to show how carefull you need to be.

I have been getting more into using my Nikon F-601 in manual modes for apature and speed and even focus.

Today I bought a B/W film as I was on a trip to London and wanted to try out some stuff I have been reading.

Loaded the film and started to check some exposure settings. Couldn't understand why when using a 400iso I wasn't getting a much faster shutter speed.

NOw I know that my camera does not auto set the film speed and i have been shooting on 100iso setting!!!

That would explain why I had a issues at the house party a few weeks ago and why even when I treid 800iso I still struggled.

School boy error! Bugger

Phew, I thought it was Jonathan King for a mo!

You should be able to pull the development to 100 though if you use a lab that allows you to do it, Ilford, Fujilab and Jessops are three that I can think of.

It's an easy thing to do, I found myself shooting in bright sunlight at 1600 ISO a little while back - failed to notice all the LED's flashing in the viewfinder, needless to say, no keepers from that bit of my life

We've all done it - or at least, that's what I'm telling myself, since I lost almost a whole roll of HP5 400 recently, having just used Delta 3200 and forgotten to change the ISO setting back. Moral of the story is, even if you trust the camera's meter and bracket religiously, always check the settings in the viewfinder. But then, I think everyone except me already understood that :grumpy:

Too late for pushing the film, all the dev has been done!

It would explain why some of my colours have been a little 'off'!

The idea is to go through life learning from your mistakes, not avoiding them all. I'll match you mistake for mistake many times over. );

Most reactions

New Topics

Back