Schooling vs. Self-taught

I think what's been said above is all good advice - very indicative of how many paths can lead to success.

I think you have to define your vision of a "successful photographer" before you can really get personal advice, otherwise everyone has to opine from their own life and experience - which may not match your goals.

Schooling can make you successful, yes, that's a true statement. Self-teaching can produce the same level of photographer who is just as successful - well, yes, that's also true.

No matter what path you take, it's the man who makes the man - the woman who makes the woman.

A school won't make you a success - an equal amount of time and investment in books and camera gear won't make you a success either. Neither on their own. You'll need those damned ol' "qualities": passion, drive, work ethic (a good one, that is), ambition, tenacity.

That said, I'm a bootstrapper, a frugal businessman, especially in the start-up phase. I wouldn't advise taking on tens of thousands of dollars in debt betting on eventually starting a business you may not even enjoy running.

If your parents or grants or scholarships are paying for your college learnin's, without a doubt, take advantage and get yourself a business degree with as much photography education as you can get - that will give you the best odds of success in life, no matter what happens with your photo career.

If you're paying out of pocket or with loans, consider taking a summer or a full year to try your hand at launching your own photography business. Portraiture is very easy to get into, and only grows in its rewards - both social and monetary - with time. Even if you decide to go back to college, continue to run your business part time - over the years, you'll have built up a wonderful asset in the form of a loyal, repeat client base, and exposure as a professional in your market.

If you go the self-taught route, your shortest path to success will be focusing on a single, profitable niche. Every book you buy, workshop you attend, practice session you do should be to the end of making you the best in your niche in your market. The best baby photographer, or the best high school senior photographer, or the best family photographer - both as a photographer with your art, and as a business with your marketing and professionalism.

Self-teaching business skills will be the tough part. "Business" is about as broad a topic as "Self Help" and "History." Start with holistic marketing books like Michael Port's "Book Yourself Solid" and John Jantsch's "Duct Tape Marketing." You'll need to learn the legalities of running a business in your community, as well as how to handle money, both literally and figuratively, as in taxes and accounting.

Photography is a wonderful profession - the people I meet and the flexibility it provides me to spend time with my two (soon to be three!) kids makes it invaluable for my lifestyle. Evaluate yourself and your lifestyle, be real, and trust your instincts - only you know whether school or self-teaching will give you what you, you as an individual, as Roman Tafoya, need to be successful.

Right on the money with this one Jimmy! I'm relating like no other here; loans, paths, books, vision, niches, lifestyles - it's all there!

To be honest my vision of being a "successful photographer" is nothing more then supporting myself and some day a family. I know I want to be recognized, I want to be known, and I want to own a studio hopefully in my prime. I mean Denver is a pretty big city and there are already a ton of every kind of photographer out there, and good ones! For me, photography has always captured my imagination and kept me intrigued. No photography out of high school and yet 3 years later I'm determined to be one of the best.

My drive and ambition has been persuaded a bit by the simple fact my girl friend of 4 years is studying business and just so happens to be one of my biggest supporters. We talk about a duo, "a plan" for the "business". She's the brains while I'm the baboon with the camera lol. But no vision is ever set in concrete and I know a business degree could go a long way. I'm set to finish my assoc of arts degree in the fall and after that need to decide if continued education would be worth it. My one year at CU Boulder was Journalism infused. Perhaps I could head in that direction again? All I know is the path I choose to get there is the dilemma at the moment. That's why it's good to hear stories from both sides of the aisle. I definitely appreciate what I received out of this post! I think whatever path I choose to take it will be with conviction. I'm already starting to gain a small clientele and my timing couldn't be any better :) We'll see what the future will bring.

Thanks again ppl!

-Roman Tafoya

Last edited:
I want to make a few points:

The camera isn't a scientific, technical recording device. It is as much a creative tool as a paint brush and canvas is. I get the feeling from frequenting forums that 99% of the people on the forums are operating from the principle that the camera is a subjective recording device. There is nothing subjective about it. You are translating 3D life with infinite resolution to a flat 2D object. A large foundation of photographic skills is how to make things not look retarded when you shoot them, because of this translation that occurs. Photographs are not captured they are created.

You can learn the technical side of photography on your own. A book is a perfect way to learn. It is straight technical knowledge: 1,2,3. But the creative side of photography could benefit from experienced feedback. Imagine a pro golfer watching a new golfer hit a ball around; they would have such enormous insight into where that new player is in their development, and could give them invaluable feedback.

Learning the creative and conceptual side of photography on your own is like trying to learn karate from a book. Photography is all creative and conceptual. Just as when a painter steps up to a blank canvas, there is nothing there until they apply their creative and conceptual will.

I am assuming that you want to create really nice and interesting work and have high aspirations. You will need your images to have depth, nuance, themes and aesthetic beauty. People will pay for images that blow their hair back. People will not pay for images that only look slightly better than what their D-SLR at home can shoot. Cameras are getting better and better and it is raising the inherent level of quality that someone with a "good eye" can shoot. What cameras cannot do is compose pictures, understand color theory, pose subjects, art direct, place lights, work with subjects to produce emotion, or create a unique vision. These things are developed very well by having experienced eyes give you guidance and feedback. And again it is an amazing experience to learn from others triumphs and mistakes--you are expediting the learning process by bearing witness to others struggles. It takes a ton of time to develop into something to write home about. Learning f/stops and what a c-stand is is nothing. It is the ABCs of the craft. After you learn the ABCs you need to learn to write compelling sentences with those letters. That's the hard part.

Right now is a terrible time for photographers. If you subscribe to the ASMP (American Society of Media Photographers) Listserve, you will know that many professionals are going through hell right now. The economy is bad and companies are spending less on photography, so less work is being divided. The D-SLR has created a wave of new photographers who are saturating the market. Many companies are having their art directors or interns just get a "good enough" shot with a camera and the in-house graphic designer is doing Photoshop to salvage the shot into something usable. When photography was just film, it created a barrier for people to get images and they needed a photographer, just as a layperson needs a mechanic--that barrier is gone and a lot of simple work is gone too. If you are going into the retail market, the influx of hobbyists are lowballing the market and driving down livable fees for working photographers to charge clients. What I am getting at is that I feel the mediocre photographer is not going to be able to make a living off photography. 99% of photographers are freelance. If you want to succeed you are going to need to be in the upper echelon of your field by your amazing photography abilities and your amazing social abilities. If you learn "karate" from a book, you will be way behind. If you don't want to do school, try to assist awesome people, learn from them, and get them to critique your work.

Also video is merging with the photographic fields. It is advantageous to learn time based story-telling/communication too. I feel video and motion graphics are starting to replace some of the photographic market as well as things move to the internet, hand-held devices and connection speeds increase.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
I think you need to decide how you define "Schooling". You don't necessarily have to sit in a classroom to be schooled. So let's call it becoming an "educated" photographer. There are lots of ways to become educated - books, seminars, webinars, websites, classes, photo clubs, forums, etc. I personally don't believe any photographer is entirely self-taught. We always gain knowledge from outside sources somehow. And you should want to do that if you want to be a well-rounded photographer. Why would anyone want to just work off their own discoveries when they could also learn from the experiences of others?

Workshops, ... and mentors.

This sounds right to me, along with memberships in professional associations like your state association and the PPA. This can work.

BUT...

If you have a chance to go to school, go! Most who tell you school is worthless haven't been.

I didn't get to attend school. I wish I had.

-Pete

It doesn't matter whether you are schooled or self-taught. In photography, what matters is the passion, the dedication to persue the craft. Taking pictures of life and its surrounding is what we can do for those who depend on our shots. We must never forget to perfect our craft. Peace all!

If you have a chance to go to school, go! Most who tell you school is worthless haven't been.

Isn't that the truth!

but..

I still would push to think of college as an investment. Research and decide where to put your $$$$+. CNN had an article of a fine art major with more than 100k in college debt and she way crying because she had no hope to pay it off on a fine art major's salary. This was why I posted the CNN money link "Degrees that don't pay" earlier in the thread. The days of going to college for your "passion" are dead.. killed by the ever so increasing cost of education.

For the most part I am self-taught.
However I have attended a few classes, both in classroom and online.
I'm glad I did! A lot of what was taught I already new, however hearing it again was more-less reassurance that I was correct PLUS each time I did learn something new.
Also the connections you make are wonderful.

I would recommend that you take advantage of Photography classes!

Workshops, ... and mentors.

+2

Some careers in photography: staff photographer, freelance/stock photographer, medical/forensic photographer, architectural photography, photojournalist, fine art photographer, studio owner.

You will be competing with others who have committed themselves to become a creative professional and have spent 4-6 years doing it (Bachelors or Masters). Again, going to school doesn't mean you are good. A lot of artists go to school and just smoke pot, don't apply themselves, and waste their parent's money. But all things being equal, there are people out there with as much passion and creativity as you, who did go to school, and seized the tremendous opportunities that school provided, and you are competing with them directly for clients or job positions. There are more of them then you would probably care to think about.

It doesn't matter whether you are schooled or self-taught. In photography, what matters is the passion, the dedication to persue the craft. Taking pictures of life and its surrounding is what we can do for those who depend on our shots. We must never forget to perfect our craft. Peace all!

The way you are talking about photography sounds like it is a rewarding hobby for you (e.g. craft, pictures of life, etc.) But the OP is pursuing a career as a creative professional which I'm arguing would benefit from an strong education. Being able to creatively problem solve at a professional level requires a lot of work. Being able to produce repeatable, professional results under countless circumstances requires even more work.

As an aside, I do think the suggestions for business classes is a great one. I never did business classes in school so now I'm relying on business mentors, books, and professional Listserves, but I wish I had the opportunity to get a foundational education in it.

I think it depends on the type of photography you do. Sports, weddings, events the sort of stuff where your not using a lot of lighting, I would say school does not really teach you anything. If you want to do advertising, still life, studio work where lighting is essential, then do a course. And then assist!! If you can find a good commercial studio to assist in you will learn loads. The variety of work is huge. One day you could be doing portraits in the studio, the next a factory interior, the next a boring peace of machinery you have to make look amazing for a ad campaign.

When you start assisting be prepared to work long hours for very little money. Back in the day I did a few 24hour shifts to get the job out on time. The one thing I wish I had done more of was the business and marketing stuff!

Wedding Photographer Newcastle

You don't need "schooling", though I don't poo-poo seminars and the like. However, I do believe that knowing how to run a business, market yourself, keep tabs on finances, etc, is of import. Classes along those lines may not be a bad idea, if you don't know the ins and outs already.

I didn't major in photography, I majored in music but I am kind of in the schooling camp because there is SO much to learn in school that can be a struggle or take much longer to learn self taught. Obviously, my experiences with this are more related with music but I'm assuming it is probably the same with photography. But of course to get a degree in photography during economical times such as these is a risk, I do agree with those who have said to minor in photography and major in business. That sounds like a smart way to go. I don't regret my music degree one BIT because I learned SOOOO much, but now that I've decided that I don't want an occupation teaching music, or working in music therapy as I originally wanted to do it sucks because I have a buttload of student loans I am struggling to pay. But my experience and the knowledge I gained was so invaluable I wouldn't have done it any other way.

So, I guess that if it's just a hobby then no it's not worth it to go the school route. But for someone who is heavily invested and starting to go the professional route I would say YES because you WILL learn invaluable lessons!

If you want to be professional then schooling can help you best after that with your own try you can be a good photographer.

Shani.

One of my first steady paying photo gigs was tutoring photo majors at the local state university .. I was 15 yrs old and they were 1 yr from a B.A and didn't have a clue what professional photography was. Like others have said go for the business and marketing degree because the 4 yr photography degree can be summed up and self-learned over a single summer .. you won't be a pro over the summer but you'll know more than what's in the 4 year course LMAO.

School is ALWAYS a good thing, but not required. To be successful as a photographer comes down to marketing. Pure and simple. You can hire someone to do all the business stuff, but you had better know how to find work or you will never be a success, no matter how good you are.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back