Schwetty and I went Insect Hunting

Oh ok, just wondering. kudos on the awesome shots, by the way. I'm generally not interested in insect shots, but these have me thinking about where I could find some good insect hunts this week/weekend.

You might have fun! I actually find insects to be a bigger challenge than most subjects... they move so fast, are often very wary.. and your DOF is so small. Excellent practice for other types of shooting...

Actually, I am liking #3 of second set more and more. There are a lot of little details that don't interfer with the subject but add to the image. The little water drops, the COFs, lines in the leaf, and even the grainy leaf that contrasts subltly with the smooth butterfly body (and color as well). The shading works well here too - your diffuser is coming along nicely! This is not the usual "clinical" image of biology (see #1 of the same set for one of those), but rather has some artistic value as well. Anyway... IMHO.

Actually, I am liking #3 of second set more and more. There are a lot of little details that don't interfer with the subject but add to the image. The little water drops, the COFs, lines in the leaf, and even the grainy leaf that contrasts subltly with the smooth butterfly body (and color as well). The shading works well here too - your diffuser is coming along nicely! This is not the usual "clinical" image of biology (see #1 of the same set for one of those), but rather has some artistic value as well. Anyway... IMHO.

Wow.. thanks! You always have insightful critiques... so I consider that high praise! :)

In case anyone is wondering.. this is my macro rig. The shot is from Usagani Photography! Yep.. Schwettylens took the shot of me! There was a large butterfly that kept landing on the softbox.. but wouldn't stay long enough for a shot.

CharlieandMacrorig.jpg

Yeah right, I'm going to carry that thing out in the bush with me?! I'll stick with natural lighting :lol:

Yeah right, I'm going to carry that thing out in the bush with me?! I'll stick with natural lighting :lol:

Yea... it is a little larger than my usual rig. I bought that Lastolite to test it for macro.. and I do like it! but it is a little obtrusive... and it does spook some of the "subjects"! :)

I do have other solutions for "other" subjects! lol! I even have a small reflector I carry in the field... for natural light shots. but do usually prefer flash.

Last edited:
Yes, I like the second set MUCH better! Not that I *didn't* like the first set... ;)

That last one, though...that's a little TOO close. :lol:

I usually concentrate on the wings.. as I love the patterns and colors. The second set is more like butterfly portraiture.. love the eyes also. I like "close"! lol!! You probably wouldn't be a fan of my spider closeups.... :)

Great photos. :)

I would love to see the spider close-ups.

Great photos. :)

I would love to see the spider close-ups.

Most of them are available in the Macro Forum area... but here is one. This is a Jumping Spider (probably Phidippus otiosus.. not 100% sure ) and was maybe a 1/2" long when I shot him....

Jumper-with-Raynox-27-80p-C.jpg

Beautiful shots! :D I really like #5 of the second set. It looks menacing to me, and I've never seen a menacing butterfly before. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back