Scoping out location for shoot tomorrow

Couple was planning on going to the annual Cox's Farm Fall Festival in a few weeks and I'm going to tag along. This will give me more experience and them more bang for the buck for sure.

I just feel better about that and look forward to shooting a more casual/candid approach. Hopefully I can get some good creative shots from this.

Cox should be a good place to get some pics. Only issue I could see is it can get crowded there. It should be a fun day.

We met up this weekend and got a few at the farm. Baby was not cooperating, but turns out she develop a kidney infection and they took her to the hospital later that afternoon--no wonder; poor thing.

Cox farms has blown up. I havent been there since I worked the fall festival back in maybe 1995. I ran into two of the children (Luke and Aaron) who now run the place, had fun.

The Millers by The Braineack, on Flickr

I think you did better than you think you did with the first shoot and I like that last image, although it feels like there's too much head room. I'm very critical of myself too, and I've been exactly where you were after that - with a laundry list of things in my head I felt went wrong, or I could have done better, and that sinking feeling going through the images and thinking "that's it?" but keep in mind, you're the photographer and they won't have as critical of an eye as you do. It's all a great learning experience.

I know I'm entering this thread very late...oh well, better late then never?

1. Technically, from a photographer's perspective, you're right on the internal criticism. But from a client's perspective, I totally get why they love the photos and are very happy with them. The adults (for the most part) look happy and engaged and a great couple. They'll keep those photos forever and proudly show them to family and friends. From a client perspective the biggest issue is that the kid isn't cooperating through most of the group photos and doesn't look happy or part of the family...and that's a common issue with these kinds of shoots. For future reference, you might think of an assistant just to try and draw the focus of the kid (I heard of one photographer who brought a puppy wrangler with a puppy and that would draw out all kinds of amused looks and interest by the toddler).

2. Thanks for sharing the site location. I've shot at EC Lawrence before but it's been a while, wasn't that kind of shoot and was over by the water. When I was looking at the original photos I was wondering "is that the park out by Centreville?"

3. I'm not wild about doing portrait shoots around such mottled light--without a lot of fill or scrims I think they're tough to pull off and typically involve a ton of post-processing to even out uneven light and shadows. So kudos to you for making a go of it.

They ended up using some of these in their xmas card this year. Got it in the mail yesterday.

pretty fun; and they are still very happy with the results and very thankful I took the pics.

Most reactions

Back