Scott Monument, Edinburgh

Discussion in 'The Black & White Gallery' started by Blu, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Blu

Blu TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I took this photo with (please dont beat me....) a compact I had in my pocket whilst out with the dogs. I like the subject, and the use of the frame (masonry work)...but I think its a bit too dark? Any ideas on how to improve it? I'd like to take hints and tips, then go and try it and re-post here in a bit to let you see how it goes. Im still trying to get to grips with PS3.... again, C/C welcome:thumbup:

[​IMG]

2. ocular

ocular TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is nothing wrong shooting with a p&s if you take a good picture, which you have ;)

3. Wyjid

Wyjid TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i tried lightening just the edge of the frame on the lower left edge. i like it cause it adds a bit more dimension to the hole

4. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not bad, and quite possibly "fixable".

1. too little separation in the shadow tones. (BTW, is the Scott Memorial that dark these days? The old images I'm familiar with, in particularily the 1844 Hill & Adamson Calotype taken during construction, show it as very light colored stone, almost white.)

2. too much blank sky

3. too much blank black on the sides. There is absolutely no reason to stick to your camera's 4:3 aspect ratio. Crop images to fit the natural shape of the subject.

5. Blu

Blu TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, the monument is that black! I think its something to do with the sandstone "absorbing" the smoke and dirt from when everyone had coal fires, and factories all had chimneys. Edinburghs nick-name is "Auld Reekie" after all!
    I thought there was a bit much sky too, but Im not sure how to change that... maybe step back slightly from where i was, to get more stonework in the picture, then crop it out when i get home?
    Ive done similar to other buildings, banks etc around edinburgh...it seems to be an on-going theme.;)

6. guest0

guest0 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I concour with what Blu is saying.

Nice job.