scratch/crack on lens

blooper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
so i just got a new 50mm 1.8 from samys on friday. and today as i was looking into the lens. i saw a refraction of some type. i thought it was the reflection of the flourescent tubes above me... so i took it to the glass door next ot me and look out the door throught the lens and theres still a small scratch or crack.. i tried cleaning the lens with my shirt and blew the surface a little thinking it might just blow off. nope.. stll there... so i took a couple pix with it to see if it affected my shots at all.. i dont notice anything really. anyway. ive never had a scratch or crack before.

my question is: how serious of a scratch/crack should be for me to consider returning it and asking for a replacement? (ive only had it for about 3 days now)

ive decided to exchange it. dont think its very fair to pay for something thats supposed to be brand new and its not.

how often to lenses get beat up? cuz i plan on carrying my camera around alot for the next couple months to get familiar with it. im jsut worried about dings and scratches that might happen.

Lenses are heir to several slings of outrageous fortune. One is a ding on the front which makes it impossible to screw in a filter. A lensshade is the answer to this. Another is a scratched front element. A UV filter kept in place takes care of the problem. A third [rare] is a scratched rear element. Rear lens caps and great care when changing lenses guard against this mishap. Finally, there's gunk between the elements. Avoided by keeping lens away from dusty/damp environments. If you don't have a case to store your lens/camera in, a gallon freezer bag makes a good substitute.

yea, they determined that it was an eyelash or something. wierd, cuz i didnt have it for long nor had much time to fiddle with it. they evenly exchanged it and it was settled. now im very satisfied with the lens! 50mm is awesomeee.

i notice my camera gets bumped around alot while i have it around my neck. i guess its just a normal thing, no serious damage has been taken for these.

what are your worse accidents?

i was taking photos while standing in a small river and slipped on a rock.
My hands went out to break my fall and i whacked my 20D and 24-70mm 2.8 L lens off a rock.
i broke the polarizer and damaged the filter thread on the lens. luckily the lens was repairable and a local canon approved shop did it for around £20. i had to buy a new polarizer since the one i whacked wouldn't turn any more.

the fall cost me about £50 all in - i suppose it could have been so much worse.
Thankfully the camera was unaffected by my slip.....phew!!

If I'm walking with the camera I usually wrap the neckstrap around my wrist and hold it rather than letting it hang out. Or I'll keep in my bag until I'm ready to shoot.

I also took my camera to a slippery enviro this weekend and made the decision that if I was going to fall I'd hold the camera and break my arm instead. ;) Luckily I didn't fall.

In regards to sending the lens back... I'm glad you did. I can understand not wanting to cuz you're excited to have it but you shouldn't short yourself on the deal because of that excitement. I'm going to grab a 50mm prime soon too... can't wait.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back