Screen or viewfinder?

Ab$olut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So most of us use digital but one thing I can't decide when I want a shot is viewfinder or screen? :confused:

Ab$olut said:
So most of us use digital but one thing I can't decide when I want a shot is viewfinder or screen? :confused:

Being an SLR-person it is never the screen. plus the screens are often rather useless outdoors. and you hold the camera rather far away from your body when looking at the screen... at least I would then have more shake in my hand ;)

I like the screen. Of course my screen moves out and can be moved in any position so I just find it easier!

I use the viewfinder, the screen doesn't do "live" preview on a dSLR. I also find the preview less than live, having some delay on my parents digicam. I also agree that I feel less shakey with it pressed against my face.

Viewfinder. I have a coolpix 5200 that I use sometimes. The screen is like a video version of what is going on. I can't stand it. Plus I look dorky holding the camera in front of my face as opposed holding it up to my eye. As we all know it is actually all about how cool you look.

Plus I look dorky holding the camera in front of my face as opposed holding it up to my eye
:lol:

Every wedding I've been to lately...makes me laugh. There will be at least 25 people...all holding their tiny cameras out at arms length while taking shots. That's OK...that just means there will be more business for people like me to do it professionally. :D

Big Mike said:
:lol:

Every wedding I've been to lately...makes me laugh. There will be at least 25 people...all holding their tiny cameras out at arms length while taking shots. That's OK...that just means there will be more business for people like me to do it professionally. :D

indeed.
my first wedding though, there was a guy with the brides party who was shooting with a better camera then me. (he had a 20D, and i shoot my first wedding on a 300D and a H1)

I've done several where guests had "better" cameras than I, that doesn't mean they got better shots or knew what to do with them even if they did, tools do not make a photographer.

why thank you. i was not aware of that. here i thought it was the camera that made the photographer. that was the turning point in my career as a photographer. i went out and bought 3 markII 1ds' and 2 nikon D2Xs all because i felt i needed a better camera to make me a better photographer. you have put it all into perspective for me. :roll:

I think the best I've heard is when someone tells me that my dSLR isn't any good cuz they can't see the image on the LCD screen. I usually just smack my forehead and make a face like someone just kicked me between the legs. :confused:

When ya gotta DSLR, ya look different looking at the screen. That's for looking at your pictures not taking them!

Now a point and shoot....different story!

~Michael~

There are only a couple of DSLR's out there that have "Live View" function...personally, I like looking through the viewfinder. When I used non-DSLR digital cameras, and used the screen, the image never turned out like the image I was looking at in the screen.

I like the picture in your sig. Michael.

Most of the time that is the case. If you look at the viewfinder you don't get the same image. But I don't ever remember what the picture was supposed to even look like so what I get on the computer is good enough.

Aren't most cameras now, looking in the viewfinder, you see what you get?

~Michael~

With regard to DSLRs, I know of only two cameras that have Live View screen function like non-DSLRs. One of the models is the Olympus E-330 and the other is a Fuji but I have fogotten the model number...
Thank you for the compliment on my sig....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back