Scrtach disk full?

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by D-50, Jan 27, 2008.

1. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have never encountered this problem on PS CS2 and have been using it for a long time. I was editing photos for a website and when I tried to crop one a message appeared telling me it could not crop because the scrtach disk is full. How do I empty the scratch disk?

2. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    you need to make more room an your hard drive. PS makes temp files as your working, if it runs out of ram (space where your scratch disks are installed) it cannot continue to build the temp file and gives you the error message.

3. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    how do I make space? do I delete my temp files? Why am I just getting this message now. I have edited hundereds possibly thousands of photos in photoshop over the past couple years is the scratch disc that big?

4. Arch

Photos NOT OK to edit
    just make some more hard drive space.... delete some stuff... You souldn't need to touch the temp files, as they are just that, temporary files.... they can be quite big but PS only uses them for a short period then will automatically dispose of them.

If you have your hard drive in more than one partition you can change the location of where PS uses the temp space to the one which isn't also using your operating system. This is better for scratch disk space.... but dont worry if you dont have a partition its not worth reformatting for.

If your still having problems after making plenty of hard disk space then run a defragger.

5. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I set my scratchdisk to drive c which has 69GB of free space however I still am receiving the scratch disk full message? Any ideas?

6. Arch

Photos NOT OK to edit
    hmmm try rebooting first.. then open PS again.. if it still does it you may need to defrag the C drive... it doesnt really like re-writting the the space as its only a temp file so it prefers clean defragged space.

7. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Im defragmenting right now and then Ill try to reboot. Hope it solves the problem. I ave no idea why this happened I have plenty of space and have editing way more photos in a single PS session without problem than I had edited today when I encountered this. I did recently have to recover my harddrive and reinstall PS would this cause any potential problem?

8. Arch

Photos NOT OK to edit
    possibly yes... the info iv given so far i know from when my mac use to get the error all the time, i guess when it comes to pc it can be a number of different things that could also add to the problem. It should be fixable tho.

9. just x joey

just x joey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i hated that. now i have mad amoutns of HD and RAM :)

10. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Fixed

11. aa_williams2

aa_williams2 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    make sure you empty your recycling bin....this has happened to me and that should clear it up!!

12. MichaelT

MichaelT TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Just so you know, it is not recommended to have your scratch disk go to C drive. It should go to another partition. I have a 20 gig partition named Scratch disk just for Photoshop. That way the program runs as fast as possible.

Sometimes photoshop will leave temp files on that disk, but it's easy to clean it up with a quick format.