Sculptures, Statues and Monuments

I wonder whether the same "rules" still apply when capturing images of other man-made art works, such as sculptures.

Often with photos I hear "get in closer", "crop closer", "find an unusual angle". etc. But when this cropping and angling makes the sculpture something less than what the original artist made, then I say no.

Is it just me, or is a photo of a face of a statue just not the same as a photo of a face of a person? A photo showing a statue from below just not the same as a person standing above the photographer. I think the problem lies in that the original artist have already distilled the image down to what needs to be shown, and already displayed it in a way that shows it off to best effect.

Of course there are exceptions, but in looking through the photos in this post, in quite a few of the photos taken from unusual angles or crops, I felt that I weren't seeing anything special, just somebody trying out his luck with randomly trying angles and crops, where a plain shot of the statue would have been simpler and better.

Now I know a few people will show how wrong I am with a few example posts, but I suspect those are, with this type of subject, where the subject is already man made art, be the exception! Not that I know anything, I'm just a GWAC.

Washington_Monument_4912.jpg

Controlling_Trade_8886.jpg

Lincoln_4913.jpg

Jefferson_Memorial_4836.jpg

jokerLiberty.jpg

monument.jpg

horse1.jpg

Stiff_General_0375.jpg

Buckster I think you are proving my point, which is to say I love your photos and think they capture the artworks well. In most pictures you included the whole of the statue, and the angles seem to be, generally speaking, the same places people would view these from.

Or am I missing something!?

Hartz, you should put your question as to whether it is ethical to photograph sculptures (i.e. someone else's art) this way, that way, another way, or not at all, into the Photographic Discussions, as these are the Photo Themes where there simply are collections of members' photos of whatever the theme in question is. OK?

Hartz, you should put your question as to whether it is ethical to photograph sculptures (i.e. someone else's art) this way, that way, another way, or not at all, into the Photographic Discussions, as these are the Photo Themes where there simply are collections of members' photos of whatever the theme in question is. OK?

Erm, I didn't ask that question?

Waycross Georgia, USA. II WW memorial I think... Birdie on the rifle gave it a nice touch. 3 seconds later and it flu away.

92000013.jpg

Awe-some, lets revive some of these old threads.

Most reactions

Back