SD cards... brands matter?

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all. Up until now I've been using secure-disk branded SDcards because they seem to be the best. Last night though, i found a GREAT deal, 30 bucks for 3 x 1gig SD cards but they are by PNY. I got them, but is PNY a solid brand?

i've bought the same card you are talking about several months ago, except mine was one 2GB card. but i still can't tell if it's bad or not(on dSLR), cause i'm waiting for my d80 to arrive. but i've used it on P&S cameras, and it worked fine.

otherwise, i've heard things that there won't be any difference during the "taking pictures" process, but once you'll transfer it on your pc. so if you have a slow card, long transfer i guess.

Hey all. Up until now I've been using secure-disk branded SDcards because they seem to be the best. Last night though, i found a GREAT deal, 30 bucks for 3 x 1gig SD cards but they are by PNY. I got them, but is PNY a solid brand?

for that price it is at the very least good to have as backup, and probably great for on site shooting (weddings or portraits). You shouldn't have a problem with normal shooting, you MAY have some slowing in burst mode depending on the write speed, but as mention, your read and transfer times to the computer will be what is different.

Whered you get such a deal?

From what i have noticed on my d50 the card really only seems to effect the burst mode. I bought a cheap standard 1gb card and can take about 9 images in rapid mode before it starts to slow down while saving. My friend purchased one of those expensive sd cards made especially for dslr's and can take about 13 in rapid mode before he sees the slow down.

For how I use my camera the cheap card seems to work well and I cant really see spending twice as much for the faster ones.

I am also curious as to where you got such a good deal.

I just made the switch from Sandisk to Lexar Professional, after my 4gb Extreme III caused my D200 to have to be sent in for repair. The new Lexar has been great so far.

I just made the switch from Sandisk to Lexar Professional, after my 4gb Extreme III caused my D200 to have to be sent in for repair. The new Lexar has been great so far.

how can you wreck a camera by using an memory card??

It emitted a charge of static electricity, which fried a few of the pins, costing me $212.50 in repairs because they had to replace the whole memory card bay. That's how.

impressive...

I am using exclusively sandisk extreme in my camera (CF)

Thanks for the replies... turns out my second 1gig card IS PNY. I like the Sandisk better, but I was already using one PNY.

As far as slowdown, I didn't really notice any unless I shoot more then 5/6 in a row, and I don't NORMALLY do that.

The SD card it’s self could not have emitted the static electricity, either your body or the camera discharged the static electricity that caused the damage.

Most reactions

Back