SDcard for Nikon D5200

mac4rfree

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Guys,

I am a new owner of Nikon D5200. I am very new to DSLR. Infact this is first camera.

The Nikon D5200 does not come with a SD Card in it. As far as i have searched, i guess i have to go for Class 10 SD Cards.

But again, there are lot of them , so, Could you please help in zeroing on the SD Card.

Cheers!!

SanDisk extreme pro with write speed 95mbs seems to be great choice for cameras with high mp such as your d5200

SanDisk Extreme & Lexar Pro are my go-to memory cards!

Thanks for your quick inputs.. I will surely check it out.

Nikon recommended SD cards for the D5200 are listed on page 211 of the D5200 Reference Manual.
Nikon recommends a SD card class of 6 or faster for shooting video. Shooting stills is much less demanding of card speed.

In this day and age, any reputable SD card will do, provided it has the specs to back it up. I've used cards from SanDisk, Lexar, Kingston, and PNY either now or in the past. They all seem to work just the same.

Oddly, the only SD card I ever had fail me was a SanDisk. Just sayin...

SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 mbs is what I been using 8 and 16 GB and so far have been rock sold reliable and fast. The same cards been used in Nikon, Canon and Pentax with out a single problem and there cheap enough to get a few or more.

Last edited:
Guys, how about this one.
SanDisk SDHC 16 GB 40 MB/s Class 10
I am on little tight budget here.. Thats why i am going for this. Is it fine or should i go only for Extreme Pro?

I use a 32GB Lexar Professional 400x 60MB/s Class 10 card. When you hear the "X MB/s", that's the read speed, not the write speed... so be wary that a card with a high read speed might not be significantly better with its write speeds (and write speeds are what you are buying the card for).

Anyways, I've had no issues with my D5200 with my memory card. I shoot RAW only, but at one point I was doing RAW + Extra Fine JPeg and I had no issues.

What are you shooting ? Sports, wildlife, video or single shots. If single shots get the slower card, but the price difference isn't all that much between the slower and faster cards..

The card you suggest is likely fine. Faster cards help with video and clearing the buffer faster if you shoot bursts. They are not necessarily critical for every user

I finally settled on this SDCard.
Sandisk Extreme SDHC 16 GB Class 10

My Friend from Dubai is getting me the Camera. I will collect it from him on coming Saturday. I thought of getting the card before that.. Hope i settled for a good one. Thanks for your suggestions also.

I will soon post my pics once i get my 5200. :)

Guys, how about this one.
SanDisk SDHC 16 GB 40 MB/s Class 10
I am on little tight budget here.. Thats why i am going for this. Is it fine or should i go only for Extreme Pro?

If you on a tight budget, do not even think about Extreme Pro. You do not need it. It is much more expensive and the price difference is simply not worth it for you. Absolutely not worth it for you now. This 40MB/s SanDisk is perfectly ok for you.

I have a bunch of various cards, from Extreme Pro to plain vanilla. 90% of the time I see no difference. And if there is some difference, it does not bother me at all. I do not even remember which cards are inside my cameras atm. It does not matter. And not a single card has ever let me down. These are just cards to store the images. ANY Class 10 will be perfectly ok for you, any reputable brand.

You are just starting, so do not let yourself to be dragged into this mindless gear loving GAS waste of money. Concentrate on your photography, learn important things. The less time you spend thinking about gear, the more time you spend thinking about photography, and the better photographer you will become.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back