SE Asia - Impressions - People at Ankor Wat

I

Iron Flatline

Yo.

I will post some Ankor Wat pictures later. Other people have done a better job of shooting the place than me. I like architectural and landscape photography, but I prefer shooting people.

A note: I allowed the Flickr Uploader to resize these, which does them no favors. On my system (and some day on my blog) they are much sharper... not that I've ever been particularly worried about sharpness....

So...

A monk in a safran robe. Can't come back home without a picture of that, so let me get that out of the way first:

2401917674_b9fded6b96_o.jpg

A girl speeding past on a big bicycle

2401917182_5f80d5d614_o.jpg

Past the temple wall, down to the moat:

2401917256_895417c8b3_o.jpg

Past the Leper King Terrace at Dusk

2401087193_4e712faf7e_o.jpg

The next sequence is my favorite from the whole trip. I spent about a half hour with these kids, photographing them. Here's what I learned.

They collect butterflies for a restaurant in Siem Reap (a town a few miles away catering to us ruin tourists) where you eat surrounded by thousands of living butterflies. Apparently they get a small amount of money, as well as some food, for bringing in these butterflies.

The butterfly collectors, near the East Gate of Ankor Wat:

2401917058_799638e0d8_o.jpg

The younger of the two, coming to check me out (and to see if I will give him money)

2401087379_0236552978_o.jpg

The two boys, at dusk, walking alone toward Ankor Wat... not another soul in sight. Very cool. The jungle off to the sides is incredibly dense... and loud!

2401916960_097c1d582d_o.jpg

That last series is great. Thanks for sharing.

I've also looked at and enjoyed the other posts from your adventures over there.

I think the last two are the winners (for me at least).

Cool story about the restaurant.

did you give the kid money?

How come the forest are Loud?

Yup, gave them each a dollar.

The forest are loud with what I think are a kind of cicada and/or tree frogs.

Most reactions

Back