SEAGULL TRL

photoguy01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im in the market for a medium format camera and im intirested in a SEAGULL TRL, what do you think of them ??? can you post example photos>>> :D

photoguy,

i would check ebay for used yashica D's..i got one almost like it for 50 bucks and it will outperform the seagull any day.

also, lubitel and kiev both make MF camera that you can experiment with for cheap.

remember, its not the cam its the glass :wink:

Nothing wrong with the Seagulls, although I agree that you could probably find something cheaper that is of similar or better quality. Before you buy a Seagull TLR check out TLRs by Yashica, Mamiya, Minolta, Rollei, and Zeiss. Some of the Rolleiflexes go for big money, but the rest are very reasonable, and take a great photo.

I got a 1950's Rolleiflex in MINT condition for about $150. Granted it's a low end one but it takes amazing photos. And it's my fav of my collection. Something else you might want to look into before ya buy are accessories. It's true you can get these older cameras for great prices but at times the goodies are hard to find a rather expensive. I've spent about $150 on the goodies(about 10 filters, 2 closeup lenses, pan tripod adapter, and a hood) for my rolleiflex that has taken a bit of searching and talking to collectors but I have a great setup now.

If you are looking to make a small leap there are tons of folding rangefinders out there for about $25 that take great photos. I got Ziess/Ikon in mint for $23. It's also built like a brick and will last forever.. Either way welcome to the MF club and have some fun!

mygrain said:
I got a 1950's Rolleiflex in MINT condition for about $150.

Yeah, there are occasionally really good deals out there. I found my Rolleiflex 3.5E Planar at a Kiwanis charity garage sale for $150 with several accessories. At the time I didn't know much about Rolleis, but I was in love so I bought it. Later I found out it might be worth upwards of $350. Although after about 50 rolls it needed a $150 CLA, so I've almost paid it up to value. It takes as wonderful photos as my Pentax 67II or Hasselblad 500cm.

ksmattfish said:
mygrain said:
I got a 1950's Rolleiflex in MINT condition for about $150.

Yeah, there are occasionally really good deals out there. I found my Rolleiflex 3.5E Planar at a Kiwanis charity garage sale for $150 with several accessories. At the time I didn't know much about Rolleis, but I was in love so I bought it. Later I found out it might be worth upwards of $350. Although after about 50 rolls it needed a $150 CLA, so I've almost paid it up to value. It takes as wonderful photos as my Pentax 67II or Hasselblad 500cm.

Hey Matt- where did you get the CLA done at... I need a mirror replacement just for sanity sake and your repair guy might have an answer short of getting a "parts" one on ebay.

BTW sorry for hijacking of the thread.

mygrain said:
Hey Matt- where did you get the CLA done at... I need a mirror replacement just for sanity sake and your repair guy might have an answer short of getting a "parts" one on ebay.

I've been sending my old cameras off to camerarepair.com which is also known as Essex Camera in New Jersy. They have been fast and have pretty good prices.

A name that is known for Rollei repair is "Harry Fleenor", but you'll pay a little more, and turn around takes longer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back