Seagulls Take 2

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by RobNZ, Jun 23, 2010.

1. RobNZ

RobNZ TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    After confirming yesterday that catching birds in flight is quite difficult I thought I may as well go practice and work on my technique.

The more I practice, the more keepers I find I am getting....who knew!!! I am pretty fussy as to what I keep these days, but the ratio is increasing and so is the post workload.

1. I noticed most of the bigger gulls (molly hawks) fly with an eye mostly on the ground/water looking out for the next meal, makes sense, something I had never noticed before.

[​IMG]

2. Quite possibly the same bird from above, shot about 15 minutes earlier on his roost.

[​IMG]

3. I shot this bird 10-15 times from different angles to try and get the right light and background composition, this is an old pile right next to a busy wharf with lots of charter signage, I managed to get rid of a fairly busy background with only small compostional changes.

[​IMG]

4. Wont bore you all with the many "in flight" shots I did get, but I do quite like this one, almost angelic I thought.

[​IMG]

5. Kingfisher: The following shot took some work, these birds are small and nervous and I had a hell of time trying to get close enough to get a decent shot, not a 100% happy with it, but it is the best I got of this species today. A bit of CA that I could only reduce post, extremely bright conditions at the time. Posting this one more for my future reference.

[​IMG]

All shot with Canon 500D, kenko 1.4 teleconverter and Canon 300 f4L USM. No filters.

Thanks for looking.
    C&C welcomed.

2. pmsnel

pmsnel TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    WOW! O.O
    Great pictures!! I prefer 2 over 3 though. #4 love the bokeh and the light trough the wings! Gulls are a pest where I live, but your pictures show they also got beauty in them!

3. cutestguy

cutestguy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Superb shots

1, 4 and 5 are my favs..

4. RobNZ

RobNZ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I got some more bird shots today. Typically the light wasnt playing ball again nor were my subjects.

1. Kingfisher Take 2, still not happy so I will have to try harder, such "flighty" little things.

[​IMG]

2. Kingfisher take 3, grrrrrrr, fustrating not being able to get the shot I have in mind, nothing worthwhile is ever easy they say.

[​IMG]

3. Anyone up for another shag? ;)

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking, C&C welcomed.

5. RobNZ

RobNZ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So 2 comments for the entire thread, c'mon people you must be able to find something wrong somewhere surely, C&C helps, it really does, positive, negative, or just pick one and tell me what you think.

I already know what I think, its your opinions I am after.

Go hard!!!!!

I tweaked this with new found knowledge and by knowledge I mean I actually understand how and why. The before (left) now looks washed out.

[​IMG]

Chris Orwig explains levels and shows you how to use them in this video on youtube. Best 6 minutes I ever invested, along with the countless hours I have put in so far doing the full course.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV1jXDtONzM[/ame]

6. dak1b

dak1b TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    awesome captures.