seamless paper questions

jemmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently using a white curtain-backing fabric backdrop but possibly interested in seamless instead. Just wondering if those who use it could tell me more about it.. . like, when shooting people... does it get dirty really easily and do you only get one use out of it - or several uses??? And colour wise, I was thinking of getting black and white but then have heard that a mid grey can be used instead??.... Also, I have been googling it but cannot find any in Australia, so looks like will have to be shipped from the us?? Who do you buy yours through?? Thanks x jem x

I am currently using a bedsheet lol. I am deciding on whether to go with paper or a cheaper muslin because money is really tight for me now. My local camera store sells 5ft wide paper rolls for backdrops in lots of colors and shades, but at $25 dollars its kind of a lot for paper...try checking a local art store, thats where I will be checking soon. On ebay they are selling cheaper muslins from $30-$50 shipped to the U.S.

I havent used any paper backdrops myself but when I went to a studio for senior pictures they had the rolls on the backround stand and I think he reuses them...as long as their clean they should last a while. You could also try a local photography studio and see if they can order a roll from there supplier fo you.

I dunno if I helped ya any but i tried :)

5' wide isn't very wide. Move your model a few feet away and suddenly the paper is way too tight. I'm going to look for about 8'-10' wide.

9ft wide rolls at calumet,
Paper backgrounds can be bought through pro foto outlets, visit a local pro tog and find out where he buys his/hers, thats what I did at first, we became good friends and I took over the business on his retirement and ended up with more gear than I could use. H

PS: GOOGLE "CALUMET" Ithink theyr'e worldwide

I use 12 foot wide rolls of Savage paper. Right now I'm using a light gray and black. They will get dirty, but you can do some things to maximize the use like having people go barefoot, or if they must wear shoes, make sure they are relatively clean. Even then, you'll get more than one use out of it, and with a little cloning in photoshop you can certainly stretch it. When it's dirty, just rip off that section and roll out some more. I've bought mine through Adorama.

Most reactions

Back