Searching for a D80

asheeants

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Taxes have been filed and I am on the hunt for a decently priced D80. Anyone know a good site? Any recommendations on what a noob should have for accessories?

what's you're overall budget for this? do you have an idea of what you're going to enjoy shooting?

You'll want to keep an eye on KEH.com cause they are awesome. In fact, always call KEH, their website is kind of outdated. Accessories? I can name a few. If it doesn't come with a lens and 50mm 1.8 lens would be cool to start or the regular kit 18-55mm or 18-70mm whatever.
Get an ML-L3 remote, its like 22 dollars and is awesome! Wireless remote for your d80 and its the Nikon brand. its amazing.
If funds allow, look into an sb-600 flash or something of the like.

good luck!
Oh, and BandHphoto.com has a used dept too. might wanna look there as well.

Adorama had a brand new D90 body only for extremely close to what KEH was selling used D90s for. not that you are likely to find a D80 brand new but sometimes the used market doesn't make a lot of sense (especially craigs list).

I have a D80. Since you're looking for used, I'd look at the D70/s too (1/500 flash synch).

D80 review by Thom Hogan
D70 review by Thom Hogan

D80's ISO starts to show noise at 400 and blows at 800. Still, takes great photos.

KEH, B&H, Adorama

i found my D80 about 6 months ago on craigslist, it had 1272 shots on it (verified with opanda) sometimes there just happen to be good deals, like when people (in my case) wanted to upgrade to the d90 for its video

I agree with the 50mm f/1.8 ($124) + 18-55 ($170 used) or 18-135mm ($200 used) and sb-600 ($217)

check out bhphoto.com and on the right side clicked USED STORE they have some neat stuff there sometimes as well

Thanks guys! I have a few good options now, so I am on my way to getting my camera! Woot! My budget is a grand to $1500 at the most. I really enjoy Landscape, nature scenes, and people. Should I go ahead with a tripod, or should I just get my basic camera body and lens to start? I am beyond excited! Thanks again guys!

If your budget is a 1k to 1.5k why wouldn't you pick up a d90 that has 100x better ISO performance than the d80. It is a much better camera over all. You can get the body along for about 7-800 and then you can spend the rest on a nice lens or a prime or 2. I would go with the d90 if that was my budget. gL
TJ

Depending on your budget, you never know what you may find with patience... I grabbed one of the D200 bodies from best buy when they closed them out for 600$... Keep your eyes peeled and stay patient, you'll get a good deal. I also have to second the person that said if your budget is between 1000-1500, consider the D90.

for $1500 i'd get a new D90 body ($788 at Adorama) and then the lens(es) you want. for landscape a tripod would be good too.

Well I say $1500 because I'm trying to talk my husband into letting me go over our set $1000 budget. I'm working on him, and if he'll give in I'll deff go for the 90. haha

What size lens should I go with? I want it to meet all my needs, but can't get too pricey.

I'd still go with a lesser (used... and not the D40/D60 route) camera body and put the lion's share of your budget towards the glass. The zoom lenses I would recommend exceed your budget already and the 18-105mm lens you linked, from what I remember, is only adequate. Perhaps look into a couple of primes (fixed focal length) rather than settle. I realize lots of people want the convenience of a zoom, but at what cost? YOU have to decide which is crucial.... convenience or IQ (image quality). Saying all that, the Nikkor 18-55mm & the 55-200mm can produce some really sharp images..... as long as you have adequate lighting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back