Searching for a D80

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by asheeants, Jan 22, 2010.

1. asheeants

asheeants TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Taxes have been filed and I am on the hunt for a decently priced D80. Anyone know a good site? Any recommendations on what a noob should have for accessories?

2. jnm

jnm TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    what's you're overall budget for this? do you have an idea of what you're going to enjoy shooting?

3. themedicine

themedicine TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You'll want to keep an eye on KEH.com cause they are awesome. In fact, always call KEH, their website is kind of outdated. Accessories? I can name a few. If it doesn't come with a lens and 50mm 1.8 lens would be cool to start or the regular kit 18-55mm or 18-70mm whatever.
    Get an ML-L3 remote, its like 22 dollars and is awesome! Wireless remote for your d80 and its the Nikon brand. its amazing.
    If funds allow, look into an sb-600 flash or something of the like.

good luck!
    Oh, and BandHphoto.com has a used dept too. might wanna look there as well.

4. jnm

jnm TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Adorama had a brand new D90 body only for extremely close to what KEH was selling used D90s for. not that you are likely to find a D80 brand new but sometimes the used market doesn't make a lot of sense (especially craigs list).

5. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a D80. Since you're looking for used, I'd look at the D70/s too (1/500 flash synch).

D80 review by Thom Hogan
    D70 review by Thom Hogan

D80's ISO starts to show noise at 400 and blows at 800. Still, takes great photos.

KEH, B&H, Adorama

6. clbd39

clbd39 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i found my D80 about 6 months ago on craigslist, it had 1272 shots on it (verified with opanda) sometimes there just happen to be good deals, like when people (in my case) wanted to upgrade to the d90 for its video

I agree with the 50mm f/1.8 ($124) + 18-55 ($170 used) or 18-135mm ($200 used) and sb-600 ($217)

check out bhphoto.com and on the right side clicked USED STORE they have some neat stuff there sometimes as well

7. bhphotography

bhphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    check ebay?

8. asheeants

asheeants TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks guys! I have a few good options now, so I am on my way to getting my camera! Woot! My budget is a grand to $1500 at the most. I really enjoy Landscape, nature scenes, and people. Should I go ahead with a tripod, or should I just get my basic camera body and lens to start? I am beyond excited! Thanks again guys!

9. TJ K

TJ K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If your budget is a 1k to 1.5k why wouldn't you pick up a d90 that has 100x better ISO performance than the d80. It is a much better camera over all. You can get the body along for about 7-800 and then you can spend the rest on a nice lens or a prime or 2. I would go with the d90 if that was my budget. gL
    TJ

10. Sirashley

Sirashley TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Depending on your budget, you never know what you may find with patience... I grabbed one of the D200 bodies from best buy when they closed them out for 600$... Keep your eyes peeled and stay patient, you'll get a good deal. I also have to second the person that said if your budget is between 1000-1500, consider the D90.

11. jnm

jnm TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    for $1500 i'd get a new D90 body ($788 at Adorama) and then the lens(es) you want. for landscape a tripod would be good too.

12. asheeants

asheeants TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well I say $1500 because I'm trying to talk my husband into letting me go over our set $1000 budget. I'm working on him, and if he'll give in I'll deff go for the 90. haha