Seashore Hiking Pictures

mutax2003

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are some pictures that I took on a hiking trip around Conception Bay in Newfoundland. My camera is a Canon Rebel XT with kit EFS 18-55 mm lens (I am saving up to upgrade to an 28-135 mm IS USM lens). Most of the photos are to TV of 60 sec to emphasize a large f-stop for landscape pictures, with a couple of them set to manual or AV when the sun is in the background.

landscape0018ql.jpg

landscape0069dm.jpg

landscape0117lw.jpg

landscape0134ls.jpg

landscape0157aj.jpg

landscape0162cr.jpg

landscape0202hb.jpg

It's hard to critique so many photos I wish you had only put a couple up, but here goes. I think #2 and #4 are the strongest as respect to compostion and exposure. A couple of things you might try, level horizons are an almost must, Always place your horizon in the upper or lower third of the picture, not in the center and invest in a polorizer. I also like #6 but a filter would have brought out more blue and detail in the sky...
Cosmo

Hi mutax, welcome to ThePhotoForum.
I shall have to move this thread from Photo Critique to Landscapes and Nature, since posting so many photos does not quite comply with the guidelines we once put up for Photo Critique (and that in an ideal situation everyone should read beforehand) - I do see how Photo Critique being in Foundations of Photography can cause confusion, mostly so among the newcomers to the forum, but ... it can easily be solved by a move ;).

You had some really nice views there in Newfoundland.
Thank you so much for sharing your pictures.
My only nitpick here are the tilted horizons, but they can easily be straightened in PS! No problem!

welcome mutax,

not being a cannon user i'm not sure what TV or AV stand for but a 60sec exposure sounds v. long, especially in the day light!

yes it will grant you a large f no. and therefore a large dof (depth of field) but if there is any wind in the air then trees, etc, will move: becoming blured.

Also most, if not all, lenses will give you their best results in the middle of their range - and then become quite soft at the extreemes. You'd need to look up some reviews of your kit lense to make sure but i'd try to use it at f9 or thereabouts.

#2 and 4 are certainly the best shots in the series - although

[rant]
the architect in me disagrees with #6. There is never... never an excuse for a triangular window, and to put it next to a square window, a circular window, a dormer window further back, patio doors... and what is that eaves detail aghhh
[/rant]

keep on snapping,
surge

Sorry for the typo on my part, for the exposure duration I meant 1/60 sec. Thanks for all the tips, I will be sure to apply them in my next photo shoot.

Some of these seem just a bit shaky, like number one. You're off to a good start though.:thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back