Seasoned Wedding Photographers Need Feedback

OmmPeace

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is it just me? (probably) or is it getting tougher to please the client?

I have been a successful (when I mean successful; I mean I've been able to be freelance for over 10 years shooting 95% of my income from weddings 5% editorial) OK published a number of times ...whatever...I've shot more than 300 weddings with only praises. I work very hard and don't take this for granted. But in the last 2 years I have had 5 of the worst experiences that came from left field from brides (Los Angeles) becoming irate over not liking their photos not having enough OR feeling that they were not quality. I give 150% for every wedding. I always cover my basis with my contract and make sure verbal communication is clear. Interesting fact 2 of the 5 couples have divorced already!

I am just curious, has anyone been having difficulty especially in the LA area?

I guess with working with brides that request seeing in a photo of the bottom of their Christian Louboutin shoes more than the reaction of the groom seeing them for the first time in the dress is a red flag. BUT weeding these types of brides out is hard before your hired.

Last edited:
The reason your friend asked a non-pro buddy to shoot her wedding would most likely be because she cannot afford a 3000-6000 bucks pro. So I doubt you'd be retained as the photograoher if you ask for a non-trivial amount.

Thanks.

The reason your friend asked a non-pro buddy to shoot her wedding would most likely be because she cannot afford a 3000-6000 bucks pro. So I doubt you'd be retained as the photograoher if you ask for a non-trivial amount.

Thanks.
Welcome to the forums.

What thread are you replying to? ;)

I am not any pro and I don't charge, my dad is though and I have heard from a few of his photographers that people are a little bratty -- I think people are just in bad moods already because it's a lot of money to spend when you don't have money. I don't have any experience like yours but I did have one recently.

I have a friend leaving on an LDS mission and he wanted some pictures of him and his girlfriend. We went to 4-5 different spots, it was at night with christmas lights. take about 5-6 frames per spot. So when he asked how many were done I told him I'm finished editing and we got a good 15-20 pictures. He says "what?? didn't we shoot like 40?" I said, well yeah, but multiple are same spot, just different exposure or the flash didn't fire, etc." "well. we were at like 10 spots" well, not all of the spots you picked were all that great... soooo.....

Anyway, I got some really nice shots, If I were him I'd be very pleased. I shot using a speed light, a Nikkor 14mm lens, and a 120mm, with my D90. Now he's mad cause we *only* have 20 frames that I edited and figured would be good enough for print. . . mind you, I didn't charge him anything except he bought me a sandwich for shooting him.... Hm....

here are some of them, obviously not PRO (i'd rather shoot cars or architecture) but for FREE.99 i'd be happy. Especially with free editing...

1.jpg

10.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Omm! I am having a heaping amount of trouble in LA, but nothing like you have mentioned.

Not sure if trying to figure it out is worth your time. We can point our finger at a lot of different reasons; the economy, GWC's, reality TV... As you know professionals are based on their ability to handle bridezilla and insane editors, art directors etc.

Work hard and do your best to fully meet the (more often then not loony) demands of clients. That is the best you can do. Even if you knew you were working with bridezilla would you turn down the shoot? I am not a retail shooter, but in the commercial field I would say that more the 30% of my clients are a little daffy if not straight out animals.
I love photography. Tough clients are always going to be part of the picture; so to speak.

Love & Bass

Yes it is tough when the client is not happy. Certainly before they hired you they looked at your work, if the work you delivered is representative of the work they saw on your website which led them to hire in the first place then I wouldn't lose to much sleep over it.
See if there is anything you can do to make them happy and move on.

Hellrot, Your photos are nice, keep-up the great work; but mostly keep-up your enthusiasm and passion. The couple should be much more appreciative for you taking the time out and for just a sandwich.

Let me guess, all the complaints are from the brides only? I learned early on there is no pleasing certain ladies and if you want to make some good cash with little to no complaints shoot male dominated sports ( MX & Snowboarding) I've NEVER had a bad encounter and they are always extremely grateful. I have been handsomely compensated with cash, alcohol, and offers of weed but I don't smoke.

I have had a bride delete me on facebook because I didn't shoot the family photos in a different location. It was absolutely freezing cold, everybody was cranky and they didn't even want to go outside. One spot was all I could get out of the group!

The trick is to just dump the brides that cause you trouble. Look for warning signs in the meeting and run! I've turned down brides even though I could have used the money. If a friend of that bride comes to you looking to shoot her wedding, run away, she's probably going to be the same!

Thank you for the great feedback and the warm welcome.

Wow deleting you on facebook? I bet you were crushed : ) I could go on about the grand ideas and model want-a-be behavior recently. LA brides seem to use their wedding as a mini feed my ego event. LOOK AT ME !! LOOK AT ME!! In this day and age it displays really gross behavior.

Having had such a great track record and consistent feeling of pride and positive feedback with my wedding work after 10 years, it disheartening. It seems that there is a lack of respect and understanding recently towards professional photographers. LA brides seem to breed demanding, unhappy, and unrealistic clients.

So the answer for me is to keep the passion going in other areas of photography that are exciting for me and move on!

Wedding Photographers....Tell me more ugly bride behavior stories!

Last edited:
OMM Peace: to be honest, I can't really give a lot of feedback without seeing your work. I'm sure you do have the experience, and you are probably really quite competent but without seeing the work I can't say that the brides are wrong.

Hellrot: I have heard things a number of times about "why only this many" It is something you will hear quite a lot, and I would recommend continuing to work on how you will respond to it. Because you will hear it more.

Edit: oh, and OMMPeace: it's probably because they found out you were shooting nikon ;) j/k

Your funny yes, it's probably the 12 years of Nikon use and now being I am being punished by having a few crazies.
With all due respect I need to keep my website and biz name on the "down low" but appreciate your critiquing offer.

sure, it's just that you were asking for feedback, and we can't really offer much feedback without that kind of information.

When I read what you're saying I take it as... I'm working hard so it can't be me, but the brides aren't terribly happy with the work (or at least some of them, a higher percentage than before). It must be a problem with the brides. Give me feedback, but only by telling me how bratty other brides are.

Again, I am not saying you are wrong in your assessment, however when I see a very one-sided position like this, I tend to look for the other side of the argument, which in this case would be to suggest you aren't keeping up with the times, or that the work you showed them was your best, but that they didn't know what to expect from a whole set rather than just the cream of the crop.

Come on Nate, he didn't ask for feedback on his work, he asked if it is getting tougher to please the client. Stop playing your little games.

OmmPeace, yes it is getting tougher to please the client. There are many people nowadays that think they are entitled, like the world owes them something. You just have to make them feel special, get the job done and everybody is happy.

Most reactions

Back