Seasoned Wedding Photographers Need Feedback

I don't have personal experience for what you are asking but I do have a couple thoughts.

1. It seems like as I get older I notice more and more how people are becoming increasingly self centered, very demanding, and have an unrealistic sense of entitlement. I won't even start on my thoughts as of why...

2. Expectations vs Results: This could be affected by either a client that doesn't actually look at your portfolio (or read your contract) thoroughly enough to know what to expect from you.

On the other hand, it could also be from not being able to consistently produce the results you are showcasing in your portfolio.

The latter was a concern I had even before I was into photography (My Brother and his wife got burned bad this way) and I partially chose my wedding photog based on the fact that he posted the entire set (>500 finished photos) from the last 3-4 months of weddings on his website for potential (and past) clients to view. There was no doubt in my mind what kind of results I would get with this kind of transparency.

So those 2 points considered I see where the OP was coming from, but I see where nate was going as well...

Come on Nate, he didn't ask for feedback on his work, he asked if it is getting tougher to please the client. Stop playing your little games.

OmmPeace, yes it is getting tougher to please the client. There are many people nowadays that think they are entitled, like the world owes them something. You just have to make them feel special, get the job done and everybody is happy.

CSR, He asked for feedback when he said... "is it me or..." and then he went on to talk about how hard he works and how even though he works really hard he's had more brides complain recently. My position that I believe I made perfectly clear is that when I see and hear such a one sided position I tend to look at the other side of it. I will not just pat him on the back and say, the brides are getting tougher... it's not you it's them.

And yes, I would say that the brides are somewhat entitled. They are paying a large amount of money for this. It is a special day for them, and they deserve to have high quality work. Hence why I believe photographers should be well prepared prior to shooting a wedding.

Is it getting tougher to please the client? perhaps, but only because they are learning what higher quality work is. As a wedding photographer our level of work should be much higher than what a bride expects. They don't typically have the critical eye we have, we should strive to not only please them but to greatly exceed their expectations.

Read This: I am NOT saying anything about the quality of the OP's work. I have not seen it, it may be fantastic. What I am merely saying is that if a bride complains about their images (and says they aren't good enough) we should take a long hard look at the images, at our continuing photography education etc. and see how we can improve. Well, really we should be doing that all the time.

And yes, I would say that the brides are somewhat entitled. They are paying a large amount of money for this. It is a special day for them, and they deserve to have high quality work. Hence why I believe photographers should be well prepared prior to shooting a wedding.

Is it getting tougher to please the client? perhaps, but only because they are learning what higher quality work is. As a wedding photographer our level of work should be much higher than what a bride expects. They don't typically have the critical eye we have, we should strive to not only please them but to greatly exceed their expectations.

I completely agree with this and that is all you needed to say. Period.

I agree with Nate completely. I've seen many photographers that have been shooting for 20 yrs and I don't think they have the talent that some do after just a year or their style is very out of date. I find it odd that someone won't show their work to other photographers. Good, bad or otherwise, my work is out there for others to see and critique (which I come and ask for quite often). It is the OPs right be anonymous, but I also can't say if it is the bride or the photographer.

As soon as I read the original post, I went to see if he had a website listed, and once I didn't see the quality of work, I didn't reply because I don't know who is at "fault".

Nate, Thank you for your comments and your right, clients are more educated. And I do treat each one of my brides the way I would expect to be treated. But CSR was correct, I wasn't looking for a critique. Pharmakon also nailed it with excellent points.

So to conclude, it's not me from all the feedback I am getting.

My intention when starting the post was to connect with more established LA wedding photogs. get their feedback and maybe throw in a nightmare story for a little entertainment, support and laugh... to lighten-up the mood.

I would love to offer-up my site ect. but due to the nature of the this thread, my name and business is recognized here in town and I don't need the hassle.

On the upswing, I have recently focused on my business for just culinary clients. In the past when I had time, I was booked for cookbooks and editorial. So I am having a blast with this business and taking a break from weddings. Not as much money but happier.

Last edited:
Business has tremendously changed. Clients are getting smarter and same time dumber. They want MORE but don't know, in my opinion, what more is. Back in the film days, shooting 500-700 was an average for single crew. Today, images are looked on computer, no need to open the heavy album and look over all of them, thus clients want more more more and thus want more more more weird BS.
I think the worse part of it all, is attempting to explain why is something done the way it is and why things aren't done - its like digging a hole deeper and deeper and deeper :D

OmmPeace: I can certainly appreciate your not wanting to share your website for that reason. It does offer limitations in how we can respond, but it is your choice.

One thought... If you want to post a similar position, it may be good to title the thread :Rant: or something to that extent. Let us know all you are wanting is to vent a little bit because you are frustrated and therefore you aren't really looking for advice.

IgsEMT Soo true!!!! You get it. My business grew up on film. I have a background in photojournalism and then fashion advertising. It's been a great blend for weddings. Even though I am fluent with digital the whole computer aspect an additional element that's sort of created a monster along with reality TV for the bridezilla aspect.

Last edited:
I'm not the "seasoned" photog you mentioned and am nowhere near LA but I find that the more work I do during the consultation explaining what they can expect and how I go about providing it -along with a good dose of explaining the contract- keeps everyone that's important off my neck.

What grief I do catch is directed towards the Best Man or Maid of Honor. I explain up front that I'll be using either or both of them to marshal the family and guests to keep my 'Stars' looking their best. I haven't had any issue with someone in the wedding party staying out of line when asked by either of those two to do anything. (barring intoxicated guests and then they get placed in a corner or out the door. Friends don't let drunks ruin a friends wedding. ;))

It does help a LOT to have out clauses in the contract (written in gracefully mind you). You know the ones where if the wedding party or guests give you too much grief you get to walk and still keep the money?

any way- good luck. :)

You have described exactly why charging an adequate fee is essential. You can more easily put up with people's bull**** when you know you're getting paid. If I did a shoot for free and had someone indicate that they weren't happy I'd cordially invite them to go suck an egg..

the Iconic Image

I have nothing substantial to contribute to this thread, but an comment to the side made me chuckle the other day. Natalie Portman was interviewed, and when asked about getting married she said that she and her friends didn't have the same fantasies about The Big Day because they get it out of their system at awards shows and openings. To some degree it seems as though modern brides treat their wedding like they're going to win an Oscar. I think all the TV coverage has skewed the way people perceive themselves. They also spend months going through bridal magazines, and then expect every single frame to look like they saw in the glossies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back