Seasoned Wedding Photographers Need Feedback

Good morning everyone...my very first post.. yeaaaa

L.A.; SF; NY any major metropolis will have the type B people in it (bridezilla) who are spoiled and bratty, our job is not to keep them happy, because that is totally impossible, our job is to keep them informed.

"oh my gosh i look fat"

Beauty is somewhat distorted by the hype when it comes to them. Too much art? not enough? too much glam? not enough?

If you come across as the "I am it" they will expect you to read their minds. If your approach is: Your event will be properly documented then you have a better chance.

Hope it helps.

our job is not to keep them happy,

Your being paid to make them happy. Not a great attitude to go into a shoot as. I can understand that some people are difficult to please but when you are paying $3000+ on a shoot for them, is it not better to try and give them what they want?

Nate
I just love it when hobby togs want to rip into a pro's work when they know very little about it, judging by some of the answers you supply I would be very sceptical of choosing you in your professional capacity whether or not you have the degree. H

I think it has gotten a little harder. I think part of it comes from more people picking up a camera and becoming wedding photographers..before they are ready. They are offering everything for a low price, so people are shopping around. I've been lucky for the most part that my clients have been very understanding. Occasionally I get clients who want more images when they already have over a thousand images.

We have entered the "ME" generation. All are entitled and they only hear what they say!

Next.....;)

Business has tremendously changed. Clients are getting smarter and same time dumber. They want MORE but don't know, in my opinion, what more is. Back in the film days, shooting 500-700 was an average for single crew.

I shot a ton of weddings in the film days. When I first started a few of the locals were still shooting 12-24 sheets of 4x5. Shooting with a rollfilm press camera at first and then a few years later with Hasselblad I used to do about 80 exposures to deliver a 40 print album with 120 exposures for larger weddings. In those days, '70s and '80s, the emphasis for most of the pros I hung around with was on careful posing and precision.

But I sure don't remember anyone going 500-700 shots on film for a wedding. Even the big name talent our association booked for seminars shot 120 to maybe 250 on big weddings.

I got out of the studio business before digital hit big and in the 1990's began reading of folks shooting 300-500 images. The guy who shot my daughters wedding a year and a half ago took 997 images. Almost too much.

The best wedding photo shoot I've ever seen took place in Central Park. A young couple, male in Marine uniform and younger (slightly pudgy) bride dressed in white were posing. Her parents were there, and his mom was snapping photos with... yes you guessed it... a cell phone cam! So I look around, asking where is the photog. She says to me there is no photog just her cell cam.
I bet this marriage will last a life time; which is not what I could say for those who waste (yes, WASTE) $5k on photogs and $50k on weddings.

BTW, my cousin's bride ran off after he bought wedding rings and proposed to her, and she accepted. So his parents go off and flop down a %20 deposit at a dining hall; which ifcourse they flatly _refuse_ to refund eventhough it's 2 months before the wedding. WASTE of hard earned $.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back