Sebring... Porsches in the rain

John Thawley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Went over to Sebring last week to shoot vintage... it poured, drizzled and then poured again. Only a few vintage Porsches came out... none of the GTP or prototype racers ever it the track. The surprise though was these little Porsche Cayman cars that run a in a new division called Cayman Interseries. They run at select HSR events... the are a spec car costing about $80K ready to race and they must run one of the classic paint schemes from the old Porsche 917 days. VERY cool. If you want to read more we've got an article at Sports Car Insider - http://www.sportscarinsider.com

Here are few images:
  1. main.php
  2. main.php
  3. main.php
  4. main.php
  5. main.php
  6. main.php
  7. main.php
  8. main.php
  9. main.php

Cool shots, just a bummer that if it were a sunny day these shots would be 10x better. :(

I really want to go there, I could combine my love of porsches with my love of photography. :lol:

Good Stuff. :thumbup:

10x better? LOL - I'm actually pleased with the shots. I have no problem with the rain... in fact, a little more would have produced some better spray. I was just disappointed more cars weren't on - track.

Really? 10X?

Hit these with a levels adjustment and that should give them some pop.
Cool shots, I would love to get to photograph one of those events, thanks for sharing.

Greats shots, they're all nice, kind of partial the Porsche, really like the older one :thumbup:

I love #8. Unfortunate that he was driving a convertible in the rain but beautiful car and great shot.

What cool shots!

Seeing them sure brings back memories. I remember going to Sebring and shooting way back in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Weather was nasty more often than it was nice, but what a cool place to spend a couple of days.

SCCA and IMSA was a ton of fun back in those days, going to places like Sebring, Savannah, Road Atlanta (in their early days), and the 24 hours of Daytona.

Disagree with the sunny day comment, I like to see racing in all conditions. How boring would it be if every shot was in bright sunshine?

Shot 4 is my favourite here, the weather has made for interesting colours and it has a good sense of speed. Very sharp and bright shot.

Disagree with the sunny day comment, I like to see racing in all conditions. How boring would it be if every shot was in bright sunshine?

Shot 4 is my favourite here, the weather has made for interesting colours and it has a good sense of speed. Very sharp and bright shot.

Thanks... I didn't quite understand the sunny day comment either. So I glad to see someone else question it. Not that I was about to go back through "hitting the levels" and blowing out all the whites and other highlights. Personally, given the nature of the low cloud ceiling and inclement weather, I thought the images and colors and quite a bit of "pop." Not my first rodeo, if you know what I mean. LOL

Thanks,

JT

I like #4. Do you have to get an invite to photograph an event like this?
Hey Larissa, check out some local tracks, signing a waiver is sometimes all that is needed, I myself go to a local motocross track and for some photos they let me bang away all day. :D

# 5 is a great looking Porsche but # 6 is my favorite shot of the set, great action and captured the drama of the event. Would love to have been there, even better to be in the drivers seat.

Most reactions

Back