Second bag choice

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Photog38, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Photog38

Photog38 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have a camera bag, but it is big and bulky. It has enough room for lots of gear (not a bad thing), but it is too bulky to take when I go hiking. I'd like to get another bag that is a little smaller and less bulky. I don't really want a backpack (kind of bulky), but it would be nice to have something that I could strap to my back. Can anyone recommend this bag?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/392367-REG/Lowepro_34736_SlingShot_100_AW_Bag.html
    I met someone with a bag like this and thought it would be a nice bag to have. I have the 30D with the 17-85mm and the 50mm f/1.8 right now. Would the SlingShot 100 be large enough for my stuff, or should I consider the SlingShot 200? If anyone could recommend anything else, that would be great too.;)

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't know for sure, but I'd think that the Slingshot 100 would hold a body & two lenses.

A friend of mine has the 300 and he seems to really like it.

With bags, I've found that it's pretty hard to judge them on-line. You really need to see them first hand before you get an idea of how much gear they will fit etc. If you can find a well stock camera store, I suggest going in and trying some bags out.

3. Rhubarb

Rhubarb TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

+1

I was going to buy a bag online, without having seen it. For some reason it got put it of, and I happened to stumble across it in a camera shop, and it was totally different to what I was expecting.

Needless to say, now I always check them out in flesh, even if I do end up buying online.

4. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I had that Slingshot 100 for awhile...it was super tiny - very goofy looking. The 200 is a more normal size, and the 300 is the size of a backpack. The 100 will hold your gear, but not much else.

5. memento

memento No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    i have this one, from Adorama..

http://www.adorama.com/GBSLGY.html#ProductDescription

[​IMG]

it's a sling style that has a belt built into it.
    i wear it snowboarding and it never gets in the way.

however, i've already accumulated too much junk and am now searching for a bigger bag..

6. M_Werner1

M_Werner1 TPF Noob!

I have the Slingshot 200 and love it. I carry my 400D fixed to my 17-85IS, and carry around the 60mm macro along with my filters and such. There is a little bit of room in the top section but not much. Great for traveling through airport and the ease of accessing your camera while wearing it is great. I would say though I would like to look for a courier style bag for days into the city and around town when I dont want all the equipment. I was looking into a shoot sac. But the slingshot 200 is a great size bag "for" camera equipement

7. chinpokojed

chinpokojed TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I highly recommend looking at them in a retail store prior to purchase too. I was pretty set on one of the lowepro bags, but I went to Fry's and they had several lowepro models, and a few Caselogic ones.

The one I ended up getting will hold a normal size body (not sure about a pro series or w/ a vertical grip) with a lens attached plus 4 more lenses and other accessories. Very good use of space and impressive padding materials. Also the zippers have a rubberized material around them for additional weatherproofing.

It easily fits my 40D w/ Sigma 18-50 f2.8 attached, Canon 55-250 f4-5.6 IS, 50 f1.4, 550EX, plus cables, cards, etc.

http://www.caselogic.com/large_slr_camera_case_5_lens/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=54527

8. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
  9. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    On another note...

Perhaps your "secondary" bag should be something "less" camera bag like. Something a little more "stylish" than the ballistic nylon ugly ones we all use. Something you can wear to a gathering of friends or the mall and not look like you are dragging your camera along.

I have probably about 5-6 different bags for various equipment and purposes but the most used bag (daily basis practically) is a messenger bag from Old Navy with Domke foam inserts.

10. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    for a stylish bag, I love the X-million-dollar bags by crumpler. However, they're expensive!