Second camera?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by butterflygirl, Sep 5, 2007.

1. butterflygirl

butterflygirl TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi all! I'm looking into getting a second camera to use while I'm shooting weddings - right now I have a Canon 30D a Tamron 17-50, Canon, 28-90, Canon 50 mm and Cannon 70-300 as well as a 580ex flash.

My question really is if I get a second camera - I'll be using one camera with a wide angle lens and the other with the telephoto - should I get another 30 D or go a step down, say a Rebel XTI?

Or should I just scrap the whole second camera idea and get a couple of other lens'? I still want a 90mm telephoto!

Decisions, decisions - help!;)

Thanks!

2. WDodd

WDodd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    From what I hear it is invaluable to have a second camera with the setup that you are talking about. To allow for the quick change between the camera with the telephoto and the wide angle could be the difference between getting the shot you otherwise could not.

I would say it still depends on your own views. If you don't think you need it or you have time to switch lenses and still get what you need/want its probably not worth it.

I have never shot a wedding so take it for what its worth :D

3. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

Personally for a backup camera I would want something that is solid and reliable, and also familiar in terms of handling. Instead of a Rebel I would probably look at the older 20D, maybe even a 10D. There's nothing really wrong with using a Rebel as a backup, just that personally I wouldn't choose to.

4. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you get a 2nd body, you'll want it to be identical to avoid confusion. using different bodies is just asking for trouble when you don't have time to think, "oh crap, this isn't like my 30D, I can't do do that. I have to do it this way".

Really, only you know whether or not you need 2 bodies and/or faster glass. You need to make the decision on what's more important.

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wouldn't dream of shooting a wedding without a 2nd camera. Sure it's nice to have two, each with a different lens...but you must have a backup when shooting weddings.

The Rebels are attractive because you can get a new one for a good price or a used one for a steal. But you have to consider than they are laid out quite differently than the 30D. When shooting a wedding, you don't want to have to fiddle with the settings because you were just using a different camera. For this reason, I suggest getting either a 20D, 30D or the really cool looking new 40D. :D

The 20D is still a great camera and can probably be found for a good price.

6. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

For me (and his is what I intend on doing) I would step up for the second body. I agree with the others that if you are charging someone any money to shoot their wedding you are playing with fire to not have a second body on-hand. I imagine I do not have to go through the litany of things that can go wrong and have for me but just imagine the lawsuit you will have on your hands if your only body fails in the middle of the ceremony and you do not get a shot of the bride and her father walking down the aisle.

7. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd upgrade on the second camera and use what you have now as the backup.

8. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Your 90mm need is covered twice, get another body, even if you have to get a film camera that will accept your lenses. You don't want to have to step to the front and say "Time out, I've got to fix this camera."!

9. S2K1

S2K1 TPF Noob!

This is what I would(and plan to) do. Keep the 30D as backup and get a 40D.

10. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Get a 20D as it's almost the same camera..... Makes a big difference when using the same menus etc. the rebels are different and sometimes it's a pain when changing the settings. I use a Rebel XT (350D) as a backup but would much prefer another 20D or a 30D.

Also don't you find the 70-300 too slow for weddings?

11. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Another recommendation for a 20D. For a wedding or an event that you are being paid for, I can't imagine not having a backup. Even it means a film camera.

12. butterflygirl

butterflygirl TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks everyone! Good points!

I do have a second camera - but it's film - not what I really want as a back up :)

So I think I will either go with the 20D or if I save up a little more I can upgrade :mrgreen: Fun stuff!