Second Family Session

JonA_CT

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I had another family session this past weekend -- here are a couple of the highlights. I'm trying to find my own PP style, and these definitely reflect that (and the fact that they chose a red flannel theme...the red channel was blown in almost every original file :BangHead:). I'd love your feedback...I'm trying to keep the WB on the warm side, but I can't decide if it's too far. I also know the DOF was a bit thin in places...unfortunately, the working distances with the geographical features were tough. (The first couple of group shots were towards the top of a ridge on their property).

I guess the bottom line is that they were super happy with these. I'm not sure what they expected from a non-pro, honestly. I have the good and bad in my notebook for next time. I'd love to get some of your feedback, too.

secondfamilyshoot-2.jpg

mariesfamily-4.jpg

secondfamilyshoot-14.jpg

Nice set. Never get the wife to wear the flannel. She hates when I wear mine, which is a lot. I really like the style.

For the first two shots, there was a speedlite through a 43" reflecting umbrella camera left. The sun was behind the tree. I had a human-powered reflector that couldn't really get a great angle, and my light positioning was largely dictated on where I could get the stand to stay put as we were on a pretty steep hill. I brought a second speedlite, but had no way to set it up. As a result, I ended up adding "fill" in post using a graduated filter.

The last shot was all natural lighting. He was in the shade of their house, and the sun had dipped below the roof line by that point.

I find the processing a bit harsh, too much contrast and darks.

on that last shot, i'd rather clipped whites than a grayed sky from lowering the exposure/highlights too much in post.

You may have already tried this, not at my computer, but in LR, (curves panel) or open a curves layer in PS, click on the drop down arrow to open the menu, and select red channel. Grab a point about midway and push up or down slightly to adjust the red only. You may have to also work on the blue and green channel. Complementary colors (those across from each other on the color wheel) will cancel each other out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back