TiltShift

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.camerastrapworld.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of looking at buying a second hand DSLR and wondered if some of you might be able to point me in the right direction!

I don't need the camera to be anything special or fancy, I just want a decent DSLR that I can play about with and take photos for fun - nothing professional. I've been using my dad's old Canon EOS 400D and this is more than good enough for what I need. I think it's a fair few years old now but as I say, it does everything I need really. He's starting to get bored of me using it so often though so I thought I'd look into investing in my own!

I'm on a really limited budget, so I'm looking to go second hand, no doubt a few years old, preferably Canon or Nikon as that way I could borrow my dad's / friend's lenses etc.

I'm sure you can tell I'm no expert, nor am I looking to become one! I just like to take photos of good-looking things for fun :)

I've checked out a few other threads about first cameras etc but they're mostly out of my price range. I'm from the UK as well (I think a lot of you may be from the US?), but I guess most mainstream cameras are available world-wide really.

Thanks in advance!

It would help if you state your budget. Which lenses do your dad have?

Sorry, budget is ideally no more than about £200 ($300?) which I realise is very limiting - hence coming here for help!

When you say which lenses do you mean what model or what focal range etc? (sorry - noob.)

Yes. I presume they will be crop sensor lenses as his 400D is a crop sensor. If you don't like borrowing your dad's camera any longer, would that not apply to his lenses as well? I would suggest checking out ebay for listings in your price range. Then try and get something similar at a local dealer.

It's not that I don't like borrowing it, it's that he doesn't like me borrowing it anymore as I take it too often.
I have been looking on eBay, just I don't know camera body model names/numbers and things.

I may just buy myself another 400D as they seem to be available for cheap second hand.

If anyone else has anything to add it would be appreciated, thanks!

I think with some luck you might be able to get a Nikon D3200, excellent camera using Sony (which is considered best sensor maker in the market) sensor and 24MP resolution.
Very good modern camera that is very well priced.

It's not that I don't like borrowing it, it's that he doesn't like me borrowing it anymore as I take it too often.
I have been looking on eBay, just I don't know camera body model names/numbers and things.

I may just buy myself another 400D as they seem to be available for cheap second hand.

If anyone else has anything to add it would be appreciated, thanks!
Yes and I understand this. But will he lend you his objectives if he does not like you borrowing his camera? Goodguy is right with the Nikon 3200, but your dad's lenses won't fit.

Ha! I'd look for a Nikon then! :biggrin-93:

Here is a good example of what is available on KEH:

NIKON D3100 DIGITAL CAMERA 14.2 M P - KEH Camera

Of course, the shipping charges would be a deal-killer, but try to find a similar deal if you can.

If you make connections with a TPF member who is traveling there, they could carry it over for you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back