Second hand tripods?

Canosonic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I guess my old Bilora tripod isn't pulling its weight any more. The thing is useless with my 400D and a telephoto lens when it's windy. Time to get something more descent. I checked out the prices for the so called affordable Manfrotto XPROB 190, but 200 EU.... thats too much for me. I checked out Ebay and found a couple of deals for half the price already with a tilt/shift head.
Is it a good idea to fetch a second hand tripod?

If you're getting from reliable dealer like, B&H, Adorama, Focus Camera, and some others, then its worth it.

All my tripods were purchased on the used market; ebay, camera swaps, and BH. IMO, as long as you stick to Bogen/Manfrotto or Gitzo there is no reason to be concerned as they are made to last. There's not much on a tripod to break and most don't abuse them. One of my tripods Bogen 3001 + 3 way pan was found at a swap for $35. It isn't pretty but it is stable.

I've bought two used tripods - one was a wash and the other is now my favorite. Be patient and you can save money and get a good deal. Understand that the heads are (usually) interchangeable and you can do even better. Be patient and you'll get a better deal (I know, but I said that twice for a reason). If you need parts when it shows up don't get too concerned. My favorite tripod came somewhat beaten up but for about $10 and a half an hour of my time I was able to replace the one broken leg lock, which kept the price way, way down, so I ended up with a $300+ tripod and head for $55 total...

- Randy

I bought my Bogen 3021 and Gitzo 1377M ball head on e-bay for less than half of a new one. The pod looks a bit beat up, but works great. The head was in mint condition.

I found my Bogen tripod at a little used camera place about eight years ago. I paid about $35 for it. I later discovered a comparable model new would be close to $400. I can't recommend buying used more highly. I'd just stick to the generally trusted brands,

but 200 EU.... thats too much for me.
If you had bought a good quality tripod in the first place, you wouldn't have to buy a new one now. ;)

I think I've only ever had one tripod that was brand new....and I must have 8 or 10 of them now. You can't go wrong with Manfrotto.

I just bought a nice Slik at Goodwill for $12 in perfect condition. Keep your eyes open!

The best deals are found when your not looking for them, and hard to find when you are looking. I found two 3068 tripod legs with with heavy duty pan/tilt heads, and a dolly in a storage closet in a theatre. They were from a old TV studio. I traded them some Saw blades for the whole lot. I retrofitted them with some smaller CR2 mounts and they work great, although they are supper overkill for SLR photography(rated to hold about 50 pounds, and about 4 feet tall completly folded). They were old, beat up, and dirty but the cleaned up quite well; bogen/manfrotto sure know how to build a good tripod. The best part is that the whole lot would have cost about $1300 new!

That's it. My tripod's dead. The head literally broke off when (!) I was composing on the Palazzo Vecchio , Firenze! The most beautiful thing in the world! I sticked on my XTi and began screwing my Cokin P Holder on my 18-55. Thank God I had the neck strap on, or my EOS would have been dead now. But it came there was another cost. The filter holder...fell down... and shattered. Now I have to waste another 20$ on some costless piece of plastic.
And ,no doubt, the tripod. Currently searching.

Most reactions

Back