Second Product Shoot Plus Models in Studio: C&C Requested!

JackRabbit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Did another shoot for CaliWide. These are some prototype shirts that he is thinking about making for his girls' line. Let me know what you guys think of the photos and the shirts as well because both me and my client need feedback ahahah.

Now, with all that out of the way, I'll explain the shoot to you. Basically, this was the worst shoot I've ever done. Pretty much anything that could go wrong, went wrong. To start, I wasn't done setting up when the client got to my house so he had to sit around for fifteen minutes while I hung my backdrop. Then, I realize that the client doesn't really know what he wants out of the shoot so I'm forced to think of everything on the spot which isn't really that big of a deal except I've never shot more than one person before (I've never really had the room.) So none of that is good. But wait, there's more! After I finally get the shoot flowing a little bit, my little sisters (who had been sitting in the room quietly up to this time) decide to start bickering which not only pissed me off but made me look completely unprofessional. And if you thought it was bad by now, there is still more. After calling my parents to make my sisters leave the room, my camera freakin breaks (well, the battery that I was using goes totally on the fritz) so that took me a good ten minutes to figure out (thank God it isn't broken though! Just that particular battery I shot). As if all this wasn't enough, my flashe decide that they are going to play the power saving turn off game all throughout the shoot so I found myself constantly having to turn the flashes back on. There were more things that went horribly wrong but the last one I'll put here is after all that hustling and bustling to make sure my flashes stayed on, I realized after the shoot that only one of the flashes was even on during the shoot which is why you'll see shadows on the backdrops in some of the pictures. Oh well. This was definitely a learning experience so I'm glad for that.

Please keep your comments and critiques PROFESSIONAL. I'm not interested if you think that the models are hot. So, if you are thinking about leaving a "Damn they are smokin'" or "These are nice" then please just hit the back button up at the top right corner of your browser. I'm looking to improve on my photography so if you don't have anything constructive, just leave.

Strobist:
Canon 430EZ shot through softbox, 1/2 power, camera right
Quantaray PZ-1, 1/8 power, camera left

-----
4455759417_afe67af710_b.jpg

-----
4455759409_d490fedb84_b.jpg

-----
4455759397_051ca300f7_b.jpg

-----
4455759379_5e1828ff19_b.jpg

-----
4455759363_ed64a391e4_b.jpg

-----
4455759349_e09366ede5_b.jpg

-----
4456031027_eb27bfc27e_b.jpg

For a botched shoot, your final results are remarkably consistent color-wise and also exposure-wise. The framing on the two-girl photos is a bit cramped, except for shot 7, which has mostly adequate room for the two of them, except at the sides. Considering how little equipment you have and how short a time you have been using off-camera speedlighting, I think your progress and results are pretty good.

I think you need to consider getting a bit more reliable equipment. You've been getting by using very simple equipment, with a homemade softbox, and bedsheet backdrops and DIY lighting gear,and this shoot sounds like a real PITA, fighting the equipment and that wonderful power-saving circuitry. I'd expect a shoot from hell like this to have been marred by terrible inconsistency in results, but you've actually managed to turn in consistent color and 'fairly' consistent white backgrounds, despite the hassles.

Yeah. Well I upgraded my backdrop from bedsheets to the type of vinyl you use for blackout drapes (it has a nice suede finish and does a good job at not producing any glare.) I want to get a paper backdrop and a real backdrop stand but unfortunately I don't have any room in my house that has hard flooring and is big enough to do a photoshoot in (carpet plus heels = holes in paper backdrops).

As for the room issue. I always get stuck comromising between composition and image quality. I have two usable portrait lenses, my 18-55mm and then my beloved 50mm (<3). When it comes time to shoot in studio, I have to decide whether the image quality that my fifty produces or the wider angle which my kit lens gives me is more important. This problem will hopefully be solved with the addition of the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 HSM to my arsenal so I can produce high quality results at a much wider angle. However, my problem comes back to my mom having a great control over my finances. I have the money for the lense already (the lense costs 800 and I have almost 1200) but she refuses to let me go ahead and spend my money which I earned. Whatever... Hahah this is turning into somewhat of a rant against my mom so I'll refocus right quick.

Anyways, I'm planning to do 3 senior shoots and a shoot for my friend jenny's portfolio (4x$50=that much closer to my mom finally giving in ahahah). I also need to get around to making another softbox so that I can more effectively utilize two strobes in my shoots.

I have nothing useful to add.

Shots are ok considering the situation. Nothing special, fine for a cheap tshirt company. I guess now you understand why backups of everything are critical for professional work.

Most reactions

Back