Second shoot, what do you think?

crystal_lynn

I am sure I sound childish
Reaction score
Website
www.crystallynnphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok I got harsh reviews on my first shoot, but I learned a lot... So how are these?

1)
IMG_0483reworkemail.jpg

2)
IMG_0523reworksoftfocus.jpg

3)
IMG_0491email.jpg

4)
IMG_0501editemail.jpg

5)
IMG_0548editemail.jpg

6)
IMG_0570editemail.jpg

Those with graphics added were by the request of the customer. I am interested to see what you guys say. Then I will tell you which 2 she picked, one for yearbook and one as prints.

Oh and for #6 I did fix her eyes I just didn't get a chance to upload the new version yet, I did it on my laptop and then forgot my laptop at work.

These aren't bad. They look very blurry to me though- is it just from compressing and uploading to the web? I personally don't care for the graphics but as usual you want to make your customer happy and if she liked them thats what matters.

#2 - the soft focus is way too overdone, I think. Using soft focus is not a bad thing, but I think you'd want to scale it back and you would also want to bring her eyes back into focus. This shot just ends up looking blurry.

Also pay attention to details in the clothing. Have her smooth out the wrinkles in her shirt before taking the shot so that she doesn't look sloppy at all.

I don't have much experience in studio lighting so hopefully someone else will offer some feedback there.

I went back and looked at your first post. Are you still cutting your subject out and putting it on another background? If so, these are definitely improved over the first time you posted. However, I would still strongly suggest buying or even making your own background to use - I think you will definitely get better results. Making one yourself is not as hard as you might think.

Most important thing is to keep practicing - you have already shown improvement from your first post.

You need to learn how to consistently focus. Like in the other post about the lighting, some of these are just out of focus, the 2nd is a prime example. Your camera's manual will go through that.

Also, why do you insist on cutting and pasting out the background? The color of the lighting doesn't match the background, and the soft edges around the subject are obvious. Do yourself a favor and work on location and pay attention to your background so you don't have to cut and past your subjects in and out. Not only will it be a faster workflow, but it doesn't look tacky.

she looks stiff as a board...need to encourage the subjects to relax...

the backgrounds scream "sears"

i think some of the image reduction quality is from photobucket hosting

she looks stiff as a board...need to encourage the subjects to relax...

the backgrounds scream "sears"

i think some of the image reduction quality is from photobucket hosting

What do you mean the background screams sears? What is wrong with a traditional background?

Also, there is not much more I could have done to relax her, after three outfit changes, an hour and a half of shooting, many jokes and much conversation she still was nervous. She has never had studio photos done before.

Try shooting on location with props interacting with the environment.

I'm interested in what you can do especially if you can bring strobes along.

I dont want to be harsh...but...did you cut and put in the background?? cause...it really doesnt work for me. Just not my style, not to say it isnt other people's style

theyre a lil unoriginal, i realy hate marbled backgrounds, reminds me of school pictures. The composition bored me a lil too, id prefer some more interesting angles and a lil more character to the images. They seem a bit too straight forward for me... sorry to be harsh, just my opinion.

She does look scared to death. The poses are really stiff. Have a look at this link for the 35 suggestions you can do to help acheive better results of your models.

Hope it helps.

Cutting and pasting doesn't work for me. Sorry.

Maybe you could invest in a plain white sheet for backgrounds? The marbled just doesn't say "pro" to me. And definately need to loosen her up a little bit more. I think the graphics are cute for senior photos. What senior girl doesn't want them, right? And she's your customer so you want to satisfy her first.

Alright, no more comments about the marbled background. LOL Mom wanted a traditional background, daughter wanted something fun. So I went with the marbled background for Mom and added the graphics for daughter.

I agree I have a long way to go to be known as a great photographer. However, my first clients were very pleased. They ordered quite a few prints, so I am happy.

Thanks for all the comments. Your critiques have been a great help, always nudging me in the right direction.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back