Second shooting interview today!

jowensphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I sent out a couple emails to local wedding photographers last week. Today, I have a meeting w a lady who also has a studio in town. I'm excited, and I've done this before, but any last minute advice?!

Not specifically photo related but...Remember that you’re also interviewing her to make sure it’s a good fit for you! In all job interviews, it’s important not to just sell yourself but to get the info that you need to make your decision whether taking the job will satisfy your requirements.

In addition to pay, I would think you’d want to know if you will be able to use your images in your portfolio? Do you need to credit her or mention you were 2nd shooter when you do? Will you edit yourself or turn in your sd cards? Which shots will you be responsible for? If she blogs or uses your photos for social media, will she credit you? If she can’t make it to a shoot, will you become primary or does she have a backup? If you become primary, how will that affect your pay?

Not specifically photo related but...Remember that you’re also interviewing her to make sure it’s a good fit for you! In all job interviews, it’s important not to just sell yourself but to get the info that you need to make your decision whether taking the job will satisfy your requirements.

In addition to pay, I would think you’d want to know if you will be able to use your images in your portfolio? Do you need to credit her or mention you were 2nd shooter when you do? Will you edit yourself or turn in your sd cards? Which shots will you be responsible for? If she blogs or uses your photos for social media, will she credit you? If she can’t make it to a shoot, will you become primary or does she have a backup? If you become primary, how will that affect your pay?

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to read your reply before I went in, but we covered almost all of your (very important!) points.

She was awesome! We ended up talking for over 2 hours. I think we're going to do some collaborative non wedding stuff soon, and she'll let me know when she has

I forgot youre in the area, I could have use you a few weeks ago myself :p

Glad it went well. What will be the terms when you 2nd shoot for her? Purely curiosity as I have no pro aspirations!

A long interview could be a good sign! hope it works out for you. We knew you've got what it takes!

Glad it went well. What will be the terms when you 2nd shoot for her? Purely curiosity as I have no pro aspirations!

So the lady I spoke with today doesn't take on as many weddings as I thought. She has a studio that consumes most of her work. But she has at least one next year, but already asked a lady to help her with. If that falls through, I'll be helping.

My seconding rate is anywhere from $50-100/hour. Factors include how well/how many times I've shot with the other lead, what I'm responsible for, if I can use the images and how desperate I am for cash (jk on the last one... kinda lol).

I have a meeting with another lady next week. That one is more promising in regard to events; she told me she's had to turn them down due to no second.

The lady today will be a great mentor. She loves knowledge sharing and is really amazing with studio lighting.

Most reactions

Back