Second Shot at Apple Macro (for you LaFoto)

xfloggingkylex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This ones for you LaFoto. I went back and reshot this tonight a little different than before. First off I used a polarizer to reduce some of the glare and make the colors a little more bold from the start, I used the remote to fire the camera (taking shots both with mirror lockup and with Shake reduction on, cant have both sadly) and the biggest difference, I shot in RAW. Now normally I dont do RAW because for me it takes to long, but I have to say, being able to change the exposure is quite amazing and looks so natural, I may be a believer now. Anyways here it is

8 seconds
f/18
ISO 100
focal length 300mm

secondtryapple.jpg

Compared to my first attempt:
Appleforweb.jpg

As you can see, a change in aperture brought out the detail I was looking for.

Now I am wondering if I need to post process the background more to make it a little whiter in the new shot. I have been using the first attempt (second posted) as my background and love it, but I think I need more white for the new shot. What does everyone thing about that?

How do you like it?

EDIT: went ahead and changed it

Whiterbackgroundapple.jpg

I like the detail of the new shot, but the white point needs brought down in the new version to make the background white.

done, check the edit and tell me your thoughts. I fully agreed with you and started editing before anyone had responded.

wow, that is really good! I want a macro lens so bad now! :D

they are fun. I wish I had bought a dedicated macro, but I dont have the funds for that. instead I opted for the 200 dollar Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro. With 1:2 reproduction in macro mode it is a nice versatile lens.

What an improvement, Kyle!
Love this new photo even better - a lot better. The small aperture really helps, so does the polariser ... and I think we have the same lens, the Sigma, where there is a macro function at its farthest end (between 200 and 300mm).

By the way, I might overlook threads that are for me because I am extremely short of time these days ... too much LIFE outside my life on TPF, you know? :shock: ... so anyone who wants me to see something, specifically, should PM me and alert me to it - or put it out into the title, like you did here, Kyle. Thank you for that!

I probably shouldn't respond because I don't much, but I don't like how shallow the depth of field is. Notice especially the top part of the stem. This makes it hard for my eye to know exactly what it's supposed to be focusing on. If I look closely enough, I'm drawn to the sharp focus point which seems to be the base of the stem and the tiny area around it, which isn't aesthetically pleasing and almost gives me a strange feeling of vertigo. Much improvement in detail over the first image though for sure!

Thanks LaFoto, and yes, its the sigma lens that between 200 and 300 can switch to macro mode. Glad you approve!

Boden, you think the DOF is too shallow still? I was starting to think that maybe it shows too much and eliminates the semi-abstract feel that my original attempt had.

I think that the focus being directly behind the stem draws the eye to the pit, but it is great to hear a outsiders view on this. I'll take your suggestion into consideration should I feel the need to try this yet again. Thanks.

thank you to everyone who has posted. I started taking pictures of an orange, but it was quickly eaten.

I like the new shot a lot, don't really care for the original, glad you tried again

Most reactions

Back