"Secrets Between Sisters" for c&c

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by sjconner, May 23, 2010.

1. sjconner

sjconner TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Here are 3 shots from this afternoon. The girls were by a window (only light I used) telling each other secrets. I was trying out my "new to me" 50mm f1.7 manual lens. I had it stopped down to 1.7 and the depth of field is shorter than I thought. Most of the pictures I took were out of focus - many were waaay out of focus. I am going to need to practice ... a lot! In some of the pictures their eyes would be focused but not their nose. I think I will try to bracket with aperture tomorrow. I used Portraiture for skin smoothing and CoffeeShop's Eye Bright for the eyes. What do you think I should work on?

Thanks,
    Susan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FattyMcJ

FattyMcJ TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    #1 is good, has potential with regards to composition, though I'd like to see a bit more of the girl on the left, at least an eye. Maybe have her tell the secret and look at the camera at the same time, kind of a "keeping an eye on you" kind of thing.

#2 I'd have tossed (for the "secret" theme you wanted), whats with the funky colors on the left of the photo? The light is better (other than the...flare maybe? over saturated/over contrasted) but the girl on the right looks annoyed and the girl on the left looks grumpy lol

#3 could have used a reflector. Pop one of those on her left side (our right) to fill some of the shadows and you've got a great shot on your hands. It's a bit tight, but it works for me, I like it.

In fact, they all could have used a reflector, or an off camera fill flash.

Not bad though, the eyes are great and the skin looks natural. Cute kids :thumbup:

3. scorpion_tyr

scorpion_tyr No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think you did an great job on the eyes!

#1 Is really good. I like this one a lot.

#2 The color seems off on the left side, and there's something about their faces that just seems weird to me, but not bad.

#3 A little more light on the right side of her face would be nice, and maybe try to brighten up her teeth just a little.

4. Stormchase

Stormchase No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    #1 :thumbup:

5. sjconner

sjconner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think the funky coloring on the left side is the vignette from the Coffee Shop action. I think I forgot to turn that layer off. I went back to check and I didn't save the Photoshop file only the JPG. That darkness and coloring aren't in the original out of the camera.

A reflector is a great idea. I have one I made out of a sheet of foam core and metallic gold spray paint. I left it at my office (day job) after shooting portraits of students. It works really well. I ordered a 5 in 1 but haven't received it yet.

I am glad the pp on the skin was good; my monitor isn't calibrated yet. I was worried about it being natural.

Thanks again,
    Susan

PS - The girl on the right is annoyed because her sister licked her. The little one is laughing really hard at her joke.