Secrets - Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by JDP, Sep 7, 2006.

1. JDP

JDP TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Let me know what you think about this pic. Now that I converted it to B&W, it doesn't look as nice as the color version, not enough contrast.
    I have several other pics of this - depending on your thoughts I may pic a different pic to use.

Interesting story - this was outside in the hallway of the company I work at. It wasn't ours, but it looked real interesting, so I took a half dozen shots or so when leaving that day. As I was putting the lens cap back on, the elevator doors open and a gentlemen gets out and gives me the oddest look.
    The 2 large bins belong to another company in the building.... an accounting firm.. hehe.

[​IMG]

2. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

I like the idea. Yes, it needs more contrast, but I like it in B&W. The thing that I would like is a little more depth of field or a sharp area closer to the front edge.

3. JDP

JDP TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok, how about this one. Different picture, I adjusted the curves & color before B&W conversion, then adjusted the contrast afterwords. I actually think this looks a lot better - thoughts?

[​IMG]

4. modbohemian

modbohemian TPF Noob!

I'll admit my prejudice. B&W digital really doesn't begin to compare with film for me. Shooting with color is entirely different than shooting with B&W. I don't know how familiar you are with "the masters" but look at some of Weston's nudes or even Ansel Adams.

5. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

I think the second one works better because of the inclusion of more text, lending weight to there actually being a secret there, rather than just hamster bedding!!

As for technical implementation, if you are going for a more accurate representation, use a greater depth of field to get more in focus. FWIW, I think the second shot works fine.

As a stand-alone piece it's fine, but I think this would make a really good series - it's a clever idea and the photo works, but can the message behind it go any further than... "companies have secrets"? I think it probably can.

I think the frame counterpoints the torn edges quite well.

I don't think there's any relevant point to make as to whether medium (digital/film/B&W) or style (traditional nude photography by old masters) have to this piece? Perhaps the technique could do with some tweaking, but I don't believe it's worth mentioning alternative technique as I don't think significant advantage could be had by using film.

Rob

6. JDP

JDP TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hey Rob, thanks for the critique! I was actually thinking of a series - I have several more shots, but I have to adjust them some. I felt a tad rushed, wanting to grab some pics before A. My new coworkers wonder how odd I am and B. The people who shredded the documents don't think I'm a corporate terrorist out to destroy them hehe.
    But it's been setup out side my office a few times again, so I think I might be able to grab even more. :)

7. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Shred some newspaper or harmless documents and take that away (tell them it's hamster bedding!) and hopefully you can shoot in the comfort of your own home without looking like a terry. You could also make your own small bits of paper with "confidential" or whatever on and strategically bury them in the pile! ;)

Or maybe you're after the raw artistic live-environment complete with risks?

It would make an excellent series, "secrecy and paranoia" or something...

Rob

8. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

Yeah, I do like #2 better. It gives it more subject.:thumbup:

The B&W conversion subject itself is quit huge. I have just started learning CS2 and already know like 8 different ways to do it. So it just takes time till you find the one that works for your style.

9. JDP

JDP TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sadly, I have no scene-setting abilities. I've tried it before, by moving things in a scene I found to get a better flow and it always ends up looking staged hehe.
    So, I'll take my chances in the wild as it were. Which reminds me, around here there's a document shredding company, and they drive these large trucks with shredders builtin to them. There's a window on the side so they can see how full they are. A shot of that would be cool too.

As for the B&W conversion stuff. Indeed, there's a lot of ways to convert. Right now I'm using a technique developed by Rob Carr supposedly for Greg Gorman. I agree that digital B&W conversion looks different, but mainly because it's usually 'cleaner' then it's film counterpart. But I really really like my current technique when I get it printed out on film - it looks really nice, more like you'd 'expect' to see from a B&W shot.

10. Tweek Sound

Tweek Sound TPF Noob!

I can totaly relate to that. I get looks of all sorts when I'm out taking pictures at the most random things.
    The funniest thing is when you're taking a picture of the clouds and somone comes over and starts stairing up at the sky trying to see the UFO or comet or something :0)

I went ahead and tried some contrast things.
    I used a gradient map layer with soft light blending and did 2 verying levels of contrast adjustments on the 2.

It's a great shot and a great idea. I wanna go find a pile of paper shreds now! ;0)

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzerav0w/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/edited.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzerav0w/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/edited2.jpg

11. JDP

JDP TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ah, I like that second one - nice work. I might actually take it all to a whole new level: blur the entire photo, then unblur just the text and a few other areas - going to try to make a whole 'Security & Insecurity' theme. hehe.