See Threw Spider

stc9357

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
s84.photobucket.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is a picture of a spider I took when it was still warm outside. I could use some help with identification. C&C very much appreciated. :thumbup:

seethrewspider.jpg

While I quite like the subject as such, I still feel this photo is a bit "cluttered" ... which may be just because the camera you use does not allow you to get any nearer to your subjects without getting only blurred photos!? But the amount of leaves does take away from the main subject, that see-through spider (of which I unfortunately don't know what kind of spider it is, sorry). If the camera does not allow you to get closer in order to get less distraction and more detail, then maybe a crop can do the same? Have you ever considered one? Would you?

After I got the photos back I realized that I didn't get as much detail as I wanted but by that time the spider was gone so I couldn't go back. I do not have a digital camera like the rest of you do yet! I was using my 70-300mm macro lens. I do so much macro work now that I really want a true macro lens. Thanks for your critique.

seethrewspidercrop2.jpg

As far as ID on the spider, I don't have a clue. From the web, the legs, and to a degree the abdomen, I would say some species of Orb Weaver. From the front half I would say some kind of Jumping Spider, but they don't spin webs. I'll keep looking.

I'm no bug expert, by the way. For the most part they give me the creeps. I do enjoy trying to identify them, though.

Was this shot in Greenville? About how big would you say the spider was? How big was the web? It looks cob webby, or was it a spiral?

This looks hand-held to me because nothing is in what I would call sharp focus. Or do you just get a real soft focus from this lens? If it was hand-held, I'm impressed. I doubt I could hand-hold a long lens like that at close focus distance any better.

This was shot in greenville, its hard to say how big the spider was but it was nice size one. It was not one big web but a series of cob funnel type webs. Yes this picture was shot handheld before I got my nice tripod that I love, its nice to be young and I can take shots down to 1/30 of a second with no shake. I like bugs but am not a big fan of spiders but to my suprise I love shooting them and my fear of them has subsided a great deal since I've been shooting might even own a tarantula someday. Thanks for your insight and thank you for replying

Most reactions

Back